[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - "No, my church is NOT THAT KIND OF BAPTIST"

"No, my church is NOT THAT KIND OF BAPTIST"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

"No, my church is NOT THAT KIND OF BAPTIST"

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm

I seem to be spending more and more time lately explaining to myself and preparing to explain to others that "NO, my church is NOT THAT KIND OF BAPTIST" when prominent pastors mainly in the south and mainly of the "angry white man" persuasion continue to support a candidate who just makes me more disgusted every time he opens his mouth. Is it fear of the fact that as the census bureau predicts, in another 25 to 50 years people of color are predicted to be in the majority in this country? Is that so frightening? I would much prefer to have a taco truck on every corner than a gas station. And why in the world has a journalist who was just trying to document the water protectors in Dakota arrested? What ever happened to freedom of the press?
:| As the lady on Saturday Night Live used to say : "Discuss amongst yourselves."

An angry white woman who feels more comfortable in a mainly minority church of the American Baptist flavor.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Re: "No, my church is NOT THAT KIND OF BAPTIST"

Postby KeithE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:10 am

Thanks for looking up that link, Keith. I think I need to gather a basket of lone socks all rolled into balls like I had many years ago near my TV watching chair. Throwing them helped vent my rage when the news was particularly vexing. Along with a particularly ugly political race this year, the idea that reporters are being arrested for simply trying to report a story in this country makes steam pour out of my ears. And the lack of quality reporting on network news these days (don't even mention that travesty called FOX) doesn't help. I stick to the radio now. If I don't see the pictures I don't get as many buttons pushed. :brick:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:57 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:11 am

Sandy, I'd like to visit Foundry next time I'm in DC!

We actually do have a taco truck or two in Sioux City and a large Latino population and they are good solid members of the community. They are no more involved in crime than Anglos or any other group in the city. I don't know why the white folk are so afraid in some places. If I had a nice taco truck on the corner I'd hardly have to leave the block I live on. :wink:

Mrs. Hauro, I think all of us are dealing with Christians in our respective denominations that have put political power/influence over the gospel. It is the only way I can explain some of the evangelical clergy support for a man like Trump.

I've heard it said that we have to elect Trump to make sure we get conservative Supreme Court justices. Well, given Trump's animosity towards a good part of the GOP and is incoherent policy ideas, how on earth does anyone know that he'd actually nominate a conservative to the bench? Many evangelicals are selling their souls for a man who doesn't even hold their values, either moral or ethical.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:59 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:53 am

I'm pretty familiar with Foundry. One of its previous pastors, Phil Wogamon, is the author of one of the books I use in Christian Ethics at Morningside College. He was an ethicist at Wesley Theological Seminary for years before retirement.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:02 am

Not that kind of Baptist? Here's a great article on different kinds of Baptists.

http://www.firstbaptistdc.org/baptists/
Sandy

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum