[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Dominionist or Christian?

Dominionist or Christian?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Dominionist or Christian?

Postby William Thornton » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:53 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:57 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 am

When I was a kid, Dominionists were patriotic Canadians. None were named Rushdoony, and precious few were Southern Baptists.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:35 am

Jim

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 am

Sandy

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Jim

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 pm

So your caveat is a subjective statement with no basis in fact. Thanks for clearing that up. You can certainly have a difference of opinion over whether or not the increased presence of female leadership in cultural institutions has lead to increased decadence, but that's an opinion, not a fact.

The world has been decadent, from a Biblical perspective, since the first humans were expelled from the Garden of Eden. From the perspective that is cited as belonging to God in his written word, decadence has no degree. Likewise, while I may not find myself in agreement on interpretation of scripture, or on many of the theological views of those in mainline churches, that doesn't make me any more (or less) spiritual, or connected to God, nor are they somehow less connected and less spiritual.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Jim

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:40 am

I'm still scratching my head over your offhand allusion to some sort of hanky-panky between Muslim fathers and their sons... care to elucidate or give us a link?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:02 am

I didn't say Muslim fathers with their own sons, although from other reading I have gotten that understanding. Pedophilia is okay in Islam officially under the right circumstances. You may remember the recent discharge of a U.S. GI from the army account his thrashing of an Afghan police chief account the man's brutal and continuing raping of a boy, considered okay by Islamic standards. A couple sites indicate the acceptability of Plato-recommended behavior, has to do with women as well.

I'm sure you can find other sites.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:54 am

The second link doesn't really completely debunk the notion, but relegates it to extremes of Islamic society, most notably the Taliban. I'd say that the second link comes from a source that is not really authoritative or reliable on the subject.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:06 am

Jim

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:02 am

Heck, Jim, God is just another name for God, and a heathen one at that, just like Allah.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:09 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:18 pm

Read both articles, one of which takes a tone that sort of lets you know they are already biased against Islam, so I don't really trust its veracity. Even at that, it seems that what is being described is not a widespread practice in Islam, but is specific to small groups of Muslims who would, by definition, be a cult in comparison to the religion's mainstream if the same comparison were used that Christians use to define the term. I'm going to poke around and see if there is some corroboration on this out there. Most Christians are woefully ignorant about Islam, and about the history of the middle east and the road that has led to violence and terrorism.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Jim, that's disgusting. You could use the same kind of thinking to misread the Bible and have God impregnate a teenage girl to get Jesus. You can always misinterpret a religion to see it in the worst light.

I know and have been well aquaited with a number of Muslims and consider them to be friends. They don't deserve such disgusting bigotry. Really, God is love and him there is no darkness. I saw NO love in the post above. Sad, so sad.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah, Jim, what gives you what passes for your knowledge of Islam? You don't appear to be applying the Golden Rule here. If you don't cut the Koran the same amount of slack you want others to cut the Bible, then why not?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:27 am

Jim, quite obviously you know few or no Muslims personally. Some years ago, we did a seminar on Islam with an SBC seminary world religions professor teaching it. We had Muslims who came to hear what we had to say about them and to enter dialogue with Christians in a respectful way. In turn, we visited the local mosque and met with the imam. I regularly get food in a local establishment run and staffed by Muslims. They are courteous and make a great Philly cheese steak sandwich. While on vacation this month, we took my wife's 94-year-old mother. A couple with the lady wearing a hijab urged her to go ahead of them (showing respect for age). Most Muslims are as appalled by the terrorist corruptions and hijacking of their faith as Christians have been about the Oklahoma City bomber or the Branch Davidians. In my last church, we had three young boys who attended regularly. Their father was Christian and their mother was Muslim. If I had given her your diatribe, we would have never seen those boys again. By the way, she came to a Baptist church when they were baptized.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum