[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Briles Fired, Starr Demoted at Baylor

Briles Fired, Starr Demoted at Baylor

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Briles Fired, Starr Demoted at Baylor

Postby Sandy » Fri May 27, 2016 9:06 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/baylor-pres ... s-scandal/

Wow. I thought Briles and Baylor were well on their way to proving that you could win in NCAA Div 1 football without breaking rules or cheating, or scandal. Apparently you can't. Or at least, Baylor couldn't.

Kenneth Starr's conduct isn't surprising. Briles, well, I expected better, I guess.
Sandy

Re: Briles Fired, Starr Demoted at Baylor

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 am

It seems another sad case of putting victories on the gridiron ahead of character among the student athletes. I question the messages being sent by excusing the behavior of student athletes. Baylor has plenty of company. Also, it demeans the women who must provide evidence of sexual assault when their university won't defend their rights.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri May 27, 2016 11:15 am

I'm sure Baylor is not alone, and perhaps, because of the Christian influence that still prevails on the campus, these things were uncovered and dealt with. Many universities haven't ever dealt effectively with the problem of sexual assault on campus, let alone when it involves athletes, especially football players.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't let Starr go, too. I just don't get this process of relieving someone of their duties as President because they have incompetently allowed something like this to take place on campus, and fire the head coach, but give the title of "Chancellor" to the boob on whose desk the buck stops.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 27, 2016 12:13 pm

What the investigation showed in part was that Baylor tried to handle criminal matters "in house" and that they retaliated against accusers. The whole thing is squalid, disgusting, and deplorable.

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri May 27, 2016 1:31 pm

But didn't Paul say we should first try to handle these things in-house?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri May 27, 2016 2:34 pm

I guess the greatest systemic failures may have occurred in VA. First Liberty University (and Jerry Falwell) simply dismissed him from the football team when a sexual assault charge was made. Then Christopher Newport released him after some question were raised. In the end, Jesse Matthew might have been stopped before a woman was raped in Northern Virginia and Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham were assaulted, murdered, and disposed of like garbage in gullies. Baylor is not only dealing with the acts but also with the "boys will be boys" culture.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat May 28, 2016 9:19 am

Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Ed: Sandy I think you display a few biases and presuppositions in the post just above. After 2 weeks of driving over 2500 miles and dealing with a variety of service providers in Georgia and Tennessee I am a bit too exhausted to to point out each of them. But by the way, while Paul was writing to a church I believe he was setting a precedent for The Church, meaning all Christians and Christian institutions. In other words I agree with Haruos point .
Ed Pettibone

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum