[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptists Today New name, format and schedule

Baptists Today New name, format and schedule

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Baptists Today New name, format and schedule

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Baptists Today new name, format and schedule. Really like the new format, not sure about the name change, disappointed in going to bimonthly schedule but understand the cost advantage.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Baptists Today New name, format and schedule

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:40 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:51 am

Any details, or just opinions? I mean, aside from a bimonthly schedule, I don't know what they are now calling themselves or what the new format consists of. A link?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:19 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:27 am

I guess they don't have it all put together on the website yet. Actually, I don't have a problem with the name. It doesn't appear that they are "hiding" a Baptist identity, but maybe looking for a bit broader of a constituency to serve. Sometimes, people tend to not pick something up or use it if it is closely identified with a denomination or brand name that they're not familiar with, or to which they don't belong. And I also like the idea of coupling the publication with the lesson commentary. That's been a hallmark of Baptist state papers for decades. I taught Sunday school for years and years, and never used them because I mainly taught youth and college, and there wasn't much in there for them, but when I started teaching Senior adults, I used them a lot, along with Herschel Hobb's commentary that Lifeway still publishes. Costs of producing and mailing news journals like this are increasing, while readership is not. So figuring out how to increase the number of readers, including expanding the on-line presence, while cutting costs, like producing fewer journals during the year, is a good move. You can change the format, and keep most of the content, and probably do your readers a favor by sending it to them six times a year instead of twelve. You can update the online site, and maybe pick up a larger fringe audience with the name change, which helps your advertisers.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:20 pm

More power to them Sandy. I also don't think they are hiding anything. I just think the name doesn't say much of anything either. "Nurturing Faith" could be almost anything. It is just very very generic. I think they may have identity issues outside of the circle of folks who already know who they are with such a non-specific name.

Nurturing Faith could be a Sunday School literature, or a book series, or a Christian parenting class, etc. The name could also fit any Christian or even non-Christian religious organization. We are all trying to nurture faith.

I just don't get why people want to pick a name that doesn't really communicate your identity. It's there choice. They'll just have to see how it plays.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:17 am

The new issue includes an article based on research by LifeWay Research, a Southern Baptist outfit and an article on religious freedom by Ed Stetzer, head of LifeWay Research. Under the radar for most of my SBC colleagues is the fact that there are areas of common interest between SBC and CBF. I've always liked John Pierce (he bought my lunch once) and think he excels in finding a printed publication that can survive in our times.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:42 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:46 pm

I'll let John post here with a more complete explanation of his thinking, but I do know that the materials they produce were already being used by other denominations, and their articles cover a broader view of religious life than Baptists, so the change reflects some of that. It also brings their various efforts under one name. That includes book publishing, SS materials, online resources, etc.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm probably not the target audience for the publication either, but I'd have to say that my subscription to it is probably the longest running one I have to a religious news journal. I started reading the Baptist Beacon from the Arizona Southern Baptist Convention back in the 80's, and it has now become a bi-monthly online journal called Portraits. Helps me keep up with what some of my college buddies are doing. The venerable Baptist Standard in Texas is now also an on-line publication updated much less frequently than its former once a week status, and operating at about half its peak circulation. It might be a bit harder, with the print publication, to keep up with the news as frequently as they do now, but with their on-line accessibility, they probably hit most of their readers on a regular basis anyway. I like what they cover.
Sandy

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:23 pm

I find it bland. I want the Liberal Baptist magazine it used to be. I wont be renewing my subscription.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby David Flick » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:53 am

:thumb: :thumb: 2 Thumbs up for me! I like it very much. Enjoyed Bruce's articles on "RELIGION AND THE AMERICAN PRESIDENTS." Hope that's going to be a regular feature for awhile...
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:32 am

On second thought, I may renew just to get Bruce Gourley's articles.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:47 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 am

Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley