[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Food and beverages in sanctuary

Food and beverages in sanctuary

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Food and beverages in sanctuary

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 pm

I know many of you go to contemporary churches where the norm is a "gymnatorium" with a cement or tile floor. Our church, though, about 30 months ago, took out old pews and carpet and put in brand new (rather expensive) carpet and new pews with seat cushions. Occasionally we rent (or give over) our sanctuary to another church or non-profit group for a meeting or wedding. About 5 weeks ago, another church used our sanctuary for a mid-week prayer meeting. Some of our members attended and noticed many people with cups of coffee, bottled water, and soda (in cups or bottles). Some people were observed sitting their open coffee cups on the carpet or on the seat cushions. Could be easily spilled. Apparently this is what they are used to in their own church. We had a discussion about this at the last two Deacon meetings, and ultimately decided it should be handled by the Buildings & Grounds committee. I have no problem with bottled water --- it wont stain. I do have a problem with coffee and dark sodas. One person tonight said he supported allowing people to bring beverages, because people "should be comfortable" in the sanctuary. Coffee and dark sodas have caffeine. Don't they make people hyper, rather than comfortable ?
For those of you who still have carpeted sanctuaries, what policy do you have about church members (or outside groups) bringing coffee etc. into worship service or prayer meeting? I've been attending Baptist worship for 64 years and I have never had a problem going one hour without something to drink. I think Worship should include some degree of decorum and respect for where we are. If a person is diabetic and needs the water -- I understand that. But bringing a beverage as "comfort food", I just don't get it.
Ducking for cover.......
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Food and beverages in sanctuary

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:59 am

I'm with you.

We finally settled on a policy that included a hefty rental fee that included the group pre-paying one of our members to be present, partly to see that agreed-to policies about food and drink were followed and partly to avoid having any outside use the expensive sound and media equipment. The fee effectively ended non-member use of our sanctuary. Good, I say, and less headaches. If an outside group wants their attendees to feel comfortable let them get their own comfortable space.

We had a fellowship hall with a linoleum floor that we let scouts, recovery groups use at no charge. This is a good alternative that allowed us to say, "...but if you want to meet in the back, there's no charge for that.

I don't know why we Baptists feel guilty about strict rules for our worship space. Here's a place we should be more like the Episcopalians.

BTW, any church that borrows another's sanctuary and trashes it up is low class, irresponsible, and disrespectful. Who was leading that prayer meeting? Why would they not see to it that their people cleaned up after themselves?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:27 am

I am not particularly comfortable with folks bringing all types of beverages into a formal worship space. William is right that some folks need water. I've often had choir members who brought bottled water and a glass in the pulpit if needed. The question is larger than the question of building use. It really hinges around the nature of worship. If it's about my comfort, then it is about me, not about God. I guess my model of worship comes from Isaiah 6 in which I expect to come to the conclusion that if I see God, then "woe is me." Being touched by a burning coal might just get quenched by my soda. :wink:
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 am

Since the subject is worship, this seems particularly poignant. . Molly Marshall has brought a good word to our attention.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:49 am

Hmm. Getting into some OT here, huh?

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Better to draw near in obedience than to offer the sacrifice as fools do, for they ignorantly do wrong. Do not be hasty to speak, and do not be impulsive to make a speech before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. Ecclesiastes 5:1-2

That comes from my memory of VBS, and I can hear the teacher, Mrs. Bradshaw, who was also our pastor's wife, saying that even though a church building isn't the temple, and the context is different, it's not a movie theater either. I can see that there might be a reason for someone to bring a bottle of water. And it's not the temple, so the idea of it being "the house of God" in the same sense as the Temple was considered doesn't really apply. But I think there are a couple of issues here. If the space isn't being used specifically for worship, it is still the property of the church, and should be respected as someone would if they were a guest in someone's home. And if it is being used for worship, there's no need for the worshipper to be eating and drinking.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:26 pm

Part of what you are getting is confusion caused by the fact that a lot of contemporary worship services (held in a gym, fellowship hall etc.) do allow beverages and often even serve coffee and snacks just before the service.

There are a number of churches in this area that are even doing off sight worship or Bible study in a local bar. One I'm aware of in another part of Iowa is called "Bible and a Brew." :)

But, as you all have said, it really isn't appropriate in most of our more traditional worship spaces where there aren't safe places to place a drink and drinks can do damage to furniture etc.

We can all get into the theology of this. But I think the best thing, as indicated above, is just create very clear rules about food/beverages, make them known to the church and any outside groups and as necessary enforce them. One of my previous churches had a damage deposit for such situations with outside groups.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan,

Years ago, at 1st Baptist Houston, while Johnny Bisangio (sp?) was pastor they held marathon business meetings concerning having coffee in their new Sunday School rooms. Very knock-down, drag out meetings that old time Baptists were famous for. The outcome was no coffee makers in the church. Then, 10 years later the church put on a "realistic" Christmas program with camels and donkeys in the sanctuary. Johnny said "times change and we should too."

While I am rather old and an avowed curmudgeon who abhors all of the drinks in the sanctuary, in a few years nobody will care.
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:36 am

A few years ago, coffee was quite acceptable in the sanctuary at Fremont Baptist, probably a residual leftover from the days of our evening Serenity Service. This is after all Seattle, home of Starbucks etc., so not letting people have coffee would be tantamount to telling them not to use wine at Communion, y'know.

But I was there today for the first time in several months, and these signs were prominently posted at the entrances to the narthex:Image

So I guess the carpets must have put their collective foot down and said Enough already!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Our church has fellowship coffee time between SS and Worship. That occurs in an extension (with sliding divider) at the rear of the auditorium. Fellowshipping extends into the auditorium. As a result coffee is frequently carried into the worship area.

I don't think it makes much difference. The (new) floor under the pews is easily cleaned and the pew cushions are old.

A few years ago the media reported that a study showed children retained more information when chewing gum. Maybe we should ask what most helps the human being in the pew to "hear."
Cathy

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum