[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Julie Pennington-Russell to FBC Washington, DC

Julie Pennington-Russell to FBC Washington, DC

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Julie Pennington-Russell to FBC Washington, DC

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:10 pm

http://firstbaptistdc.org/fbc-calls-jul ... n-russell/

I didn't see any references to this anywhere. Quite a challenge, revitalizing a church, especially one that has fallen on hard times.
Sandy

Re: Julie Pennington-Russell to FBC Washington, DC

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Always some challenges to pastoring an older downtown "first church."
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Where is Amy Butler?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:29 am

This is not fresh news. Amy Butler was at Calvary in DC, not FBC. I learned it first from Julie's Facebook page.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:43 pm

http://firstbaptistdc.org/introducing-j ... n-russell/

Here's the write up from the church, and there's a couple of pieces from her as well. I don't know much about FBC Decatur, where she was prior to this, but this seems quite a contrast to Calvary Baptist Church in Waco, where she served for quite a while, and which was virtually brought back from the dead under her leadership. Historic churches are different in many ways, as congregations re-invent themselves over the years, and don't really fit the building they own. I've visited FBC Washington several times in recent years. Like most churches in the inner city, it was built in a location at a time when most of its members walked to church, and it has a lot of the problems that are faced in that kind of situation--no parking, a large, aging facility that shows signs of a congregation not able to completely afford its maintenance, a large sanctuary with a small congregation, in a neighborhood with few people who are good "prospects" for membership. I've got a couple of friends who pastor churches in DC who benefit from a location within walking distance of the Metro, but I don't think FBC is all that close. It is very visible, on 16th St, which makes a straight line right to the White House, about six blocks south, and it's just off Scott Circle.

I'm not particularly warm to the idea of women serving as pastors, though I think that the scriptural requirements are not necessarily completely restrictive of the idea. During my CBF days, my wife and I visited Calvary in Waco on several occasions, in part to satisfy our curiosity, and observed the transformation that occurred there. Part of it was due to the proximity of Truett Seminary and Baylor, where she enlisted volunteers to help carry out the church's ministry. The neighborhood around the church was revitalizing, and the community ministry that she initiated, combined with relevant worship, and her very creative preaching, turned the church from an aging, dying congregation into what is probably the most vibrant congregation in Waco. And a sign of her effectiveness is that the church has continued to enjoy growth and expansion after her departure.

I don't know the circumstances at Decatur FBC, but I'll be interested to follow developments at FBC Washington.
Sandy

Postby James » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:02 am

About FBC Decatur. The church has a large suburban campus on the edge of the town of Decatur which is a suburb of Atlanta. From the outside it is little changed from the church I knew as a student at Emory University. In the 1950's and early 60's, it was an all white church. Dr. John Claypool was the associate pastor during my first year in college. He left the church when it passed a by-law which insured that no black would ever be accepted as a member. Look at the pictures on its website. It shows a congregation of many colors and races.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum