[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What Blizzard???

What Blizzard???

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

What Blizzard???

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 am

Ed: It looks like we out ran the nasty weather. It was snowing lightly and blowing a stiff wind as we headed east from Dayton through Pittsburgh on US22 on Sunday. We stopped above College Station PA, just before sunset. The weather channel warned of 3 to 5 inches of snow for that area but we woke up in the morning with no new snow. The snow had gotten to Birmingham NY, so I 84 our most frequent route from PA and SW wasn't a good choice so we continued east almost to the New Jersey line an then took less traveled rout north in to NY and through part of the Catskills. The has received Snow overnight. However traffic had beaten most of it off of the roadway before we got there when we got to I 87 there was no sign of new snow. In fact we took time to stop at a huge RV dealership to take a look at their parts and accessories store. As we arrived at the southern side of Greater Albany we began to see some flakes in the air for the next 38 mile the intensity varied from nothing to a short stretch (2 or 3 miles) of near white out conditions. By the time we got home it had quit and we have had no new snow. The weather man says the blizzard isn't going to get this far North, while NYC is expecting 7 to 12 inches.

It looks like Chris A. and Dave R. may get the worst of it. I hope none of you are planing to fly this weekend. Praying you all stay warm and safe.

I see Huntsville is warming up.
Ed Pettibone

Re: What Blizzard???

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:59 am

The cutoff line on this blizzard is amazing. I was in the Northern WV panhandle last night, about 30 miles south of here, and it was snowing heavily. Plows couldn't keep up with it on the roads, and there were slick spots. Within 15 miles north, I was out of the snow and the roads were dry. Here at my house, 35 miles north of Pittsburgh, we got a few flurries. They got a foot.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Cathy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:40 am

My oldest daughter was going to fly out of NYC Saturday. Flights cancelled for the next two days. And making connections to our smaller airport might be difficult. I'll have to cancel her Monday dental appointment.

Last year our trip through NY was interrupted by snow. This year we decided to book our late February trip to the Dominican Republic through Atlanta instead of NY. An overnight there and a visit with my sister will make that a win win. But you just can't predict the weather that far ahead.

Today, it's been snowing here as well.
Last edited by Cathy on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:59 am

We received about 5 inches of snow, then a night of sleet and freezing rain, then another 2 inches of snow yesterday. The sun is shining this morning, but almost nothing is moving except I-95 and US-58. I doubt if plows reach us before tonight or tomorrow, but that's okay. We are warm, comfortable, and have plenty to eat.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:40 pm

Cathy, some years back I nearly got stuck in Rochester, NY when I was at the seminary there for a conference. I think I got out not long before they closed the airport. :D

In mid February I'm attending the Academy of Parish Clergy conference in Florida and about every other trip I've had trouble coming back. I fly out of Omaha and drive from Sioux City. So I have to deal with both road and flight issues.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Our street got plowed around 4 p.m. today. School is still closed on Monday, and it will be slick in the morning. It was beautiful to look at here. Churches in the area were all closed today, so I watched the service (recorded) from First Baptist in Richmond.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:03 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:39 am

Of course Iowa wasn't in the track of this big storm. We did have freezing fog today that caused some country schools to cancel. We have a foot or more of snow still sitting in the yard. It melts some running onto the sidewalks and then refreezes into nice sheets of ice in the morning.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 am

Watch your footing! That's the kind of scenario that led to my multiply fractured ankle 4 years ago this week.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 pm

When there's ice about, and especially if you know there is but you can't tell where (due to lighting conditions, additional snow, or whatever) I recommend . They really do vastly improve one's footing on ice. I think you can get them at Amazon or probably at most any outdoor supplies store.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 pm

My daughter finally left NYC the Monday after the blizzard. Then her flight from Minneapolis to SLC was held for connections that were late arriving. So she missed her connection out of SLC and spent 24 hours there.

Travel when you have to take three flights to get where you are going can be very frustrating. It was great to see her but our time together was about half what it would have been.
Cathy

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum