[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Who baptizeed Jesus?

Who baptizeed Jesus?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Who baptizeed Jesus?

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Our Sunday school lesson this week (from Smith & Helwys Formations) is Luke's account of Jesus' baptism. Matthew 3: 13-17, and Mark 1: 9-11, say that John (the Baptist) baptized Jesus in the Jordan River. But Luke 3:20 says John was in jail. Next verse, Luke 3:21 says Jesus was baptized, but doesn't say who baptized Him. This has never come to my attention, previously. I can't find a reference to Jesus' baptism in the Gospel of John. Isn't it there, in John?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Who baptizeed Jesus?

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Lot of people think it was Adrian Rogers or WA Criswell but I'll go with God's Holy Word and Christian Tradition and say it was John the Baptizer!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby KeithE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:08 am

Luke assumes there are other writings in circulation and that he is making a more historical effort to tell of Jesus. He relates the baptism of Jesus to John but does not actually say that John baptized Jesus. I think he is assuming a familiarity with Mark, if you look at the relationships among the first three gospels.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:20 pm

I don't see or know of any evidence of an alternative baptizer. So I'm comfortable with John as the one who baptized Jesus.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Why would a writer (or editor) put the sentence about Jesus getting baptized immediately after the sentence about John being in prison? Any casual reader is going to assume John wasn't there to baptize Jesus.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:28 pm

I believe its John the Baptist
Shawn Koester

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:18 am

Ed: I do not really care who baptized Jesus, that the bible says he was baptized at his own request is the point. I have been taught that it was John who did the act and I have taught it that way, yet for me it is one of those useless discussions similar to how many angles can dance on the head of a pin. And I am persuaded that such are partly responsible for the decline in church attendance seen in today's society.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:26 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:56 am

My Aunt Margie held to that theory. I remember my dad getting really upset at her about it. (Margie was a religious nut case. A part-time Baptist fundie, part-time Christian Scientist. My grandmother Elsie was a little weird, too. She told my dad to wash my mouth out with soap and water for having written a play, which my parents were very proud of me for, containing the line, which I quoted from news sources, "My God! They shot the president!"...)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum