[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Flags in Church

Flags in Church

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Flags in Church

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:21 am

As I sat in worship Sunday morning, something struck me that never had before. The American flag and Christian flag were displayed in their traditional places with the American flag too the left of the congregation and the Christian flag to the congregation's right and (in keeping with the US Flag Code) to the American flag's left. The question that struck me in this display was, "Does this send the subtle message that all things Christian are placed in a subservient position to the national flag? Therefore, does this send a nationalistic message subtly above a Christian message?

As I understand the flag customs in churches, very few displayed the national flag before World War II when it was done to show support of those from the congregation serving in the military at that time. (Of course, flags were used in VBS before that time.) During the 1950's, it was our way of showing the superiority of our way of life above the way of life of "godless Communism, as was the addition of the words, "Under God," to the Pledge of Allegiance. Is our common display sending the wrong message about the nature of our worship?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Flags in Church

Postby Lou » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:59 am

You raise an important question, Dave. This is something I've struggled with across the years. I actually removed the flags from our church's auditorium years ago, and received surprisingly little grief from the congregation over that decision (with one or 2 exceptions). The precipitating event that led to my removing them was that a certain individual kept sneaking into the auditorium prior to the worship services and moving the U.S. flag to a higher position on the stage than the Christian flag.
Lou

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:17 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

I really don't like the flags being in church. But I honestly have tended not to change whatever the custom has been for the local church I'm in. My experience is that it causes more of a headache than it is worth to move or remove them.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Maybe this struck me because the day was Christ the King Sunday.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:07 am

One time in the late 80’s or early 90’s I went to an Alabama State SBC Convention at Whitesburg BC here in Huntsville. I know there was some burning issue being discussed and I wanted to be there but memory fades as to what it was.

But I do remember there were 17 American Flags spread across the podium front and one Christian Flag on the right side barely visible. The speakers stood above the flags. That was the first and last SBC convention event I ever attended.

Nationalism is a corporate/personal sin (and it has gone rampant in the US today). It clearly violates the 1st Commandment. But I guess the 1st Amendment allows it.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:02 pm

I prefer not to have flags in church. If they are there they should be far to the side. But a dear lady of the church I was attending here is unhappy about the flags not being up at that church anymore. That isn't the only thing people are upset about (financial maleficence is higher on the list to most) there but it certainly is something she finds worth bringing up. While I don't see anyone jumping in and echoing her concern they are consoling. If the older generation feels strongly about an unfurled flag off to the side I wouldn't object to it. I'll be the older generation at church very soon.
Cathy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:41 am

I haven't even noticed whether or not we have flags in our sanctuary since we moved into our new place in August. I need to try to remember to take a look around.

I'd be curious to know if Christians in other parts of the world stick a national flag in their church building or if this is just a peculiarity of American Christianity.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:38 am

Sandy

Postby ET » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 am

Be interesting to see if this issue pops up in my reading of John Wilsey's new book . The book is a take on the mixing of Christianity and American nationalism viewed from either a closed or open definition of American "exceptionalism". Looking forward to reading the whole thing. So far I've just digested bits and pieces.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 am

I don't know if any what effect flags or no flags has on the viewpoint of church for our young adults. But many young adults who don't go to church have kind of an anti-organized religion anti-establishment mentality. To me flags in the church just makes us look like more a part of the "establishment" rather than followers of Christ.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:11 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 am

A new book by John Wesley... I guess he'd be a ghost writer instead of a circuit rider. :wink:
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum