[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Shirttail Methodism

Shirttail Methodism

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Shirttail Methodism

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:28 pm

This morning I attended worship at First Church, as First Methodist bills itself in Seattle by virtue of its 1853 founding. I went because a couple weeks ago I got two letters, postmarked two days apart, thanking me for my contribution to their mortgage-reduction drive and letting me know that my name was on a plaque that would be dedicated this morning. Now, I had only worshiped in that sanctuary once, two or three years ago, and I had no recollection of having donated to their building fund or whatever. So I decided to go look at the thing.

It was a fine service, beautifully appointed, with a moving message from Job ("Skin for Skin"). and wonderful herb communion bread. I enjoyed the hymns, but was looking forward to my first chance to sing EAST ACKLAM only to find they substituted AR HYD Y NOS in "For the fruits of this creation". Here are a few pictures ...

plaque1.jpg
The plaque is presented
plaque3.jpg
My name on it
communion lineup.jpg
Lining up for Communion
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Shirttail Methodism

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm going back next week for German Church!
german_church.jpg

And here's their organ, handbells, and pulpit.
organ handbells pulpit.jpg

And the Afghanistani tapestry they used today as a tablecloth on the Communion Table.
communion tapestry.jpg

I'll admit I'm a bit of a coward at times, but heck, it's my diet to blame...
chicken hearts.jpg
Der Mann ist was er ißt!

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Something came up last Sunday that kept me from going to German Church, but I made it today. Es war wunderbar. I think the total attendance was 18, including three grade-school-or-younger kids as well as a few older-than-I types. A mix of native speakers, fluent non-native speakers, and people like me who could barely put three words together auf Deutsch. (I don't think I'd spoken more than a sentence of German per occasion, not counting greetings etc., since 1973, and it's definitely rustig.)
The pastors (a husband-and-wife team) were not in town; I may go back next week to meet them, and to see if they'll sell me a hymnal. Image I'm sure I'll be back at some point.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 am

Looks like quite an interesting church with which to worship.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:58 am

Haruo,

Did you know if the German speaking UM church has a Evangelical United Brethren background? In this part of the US that is often what that would indicate.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 pm

I don't think so particularly. I think it's a recent church plant, maybe three or four years old now, probably roughly contemporary with First Methodist's move to their current building.

There's another German Protestant church in town, , which is UCC; founded 1881 as "First German Reformed Church". It joined the Congregationalists in 1896. From what I heard yesterday, it's very old-school, not very welcoming especially to non-germanophones; and predictably, aging and dying. I think I'll visit it next week so I don't slander it on hearsay.

This one is UMC, . Their offering goes 50% to the local Methodist conference, 50% to refugee assistance in Europe. (The pastors are of course paid by the conference.)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:16 pm

There are apparently nearly 20,000 German speakers in the Greater Seattle area, and while most of them are not churchgoers, and the vast majority are fully functional in English, they do form a sizable potential mission field. The young black lady who read the scripture and then left to do junior church with her two young, recently baptized sons in the narthex, I'm told, is a native German speaker and lived there until after she graduated from college. Diversity is far more diverse than we generally give it credit for.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:43 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum