[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Big Daddy Aaron Weaver joins chorus to defund Planned Parent

Big Daddy Aaron Weaver joins chorus to defund Planned Parent

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Big Daddy Aaron Weaver joins chorus to defund Planned Pa

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:01 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Neil Heath » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 am

I would add that a large portion of the federal dollars come in the form of Medicare reimbursements for services provided.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:33 am

Just received by Christian Ethics Today magazine. It has Big Daddy’s article (lead off post) in it as well as a mature discussion by Fisher Humphries about homosexuality and Christianity.

So I re-read Aaron’s article and say his math still is very fuzzy to me, when he equates women's services performed by Planned Parenthood to hot dogs at a baseball game. Sorry but I don’t get it Aaron. A little leaven can make a whole loaf of bread bad may be a better comparison. But then we have the wheat and the tares parable where Jesus says live with the tares until judgment day. No analogy is perfect.

I’m against abortion as much as anybody, but just because a person has one, does not cause me to write them off as irreparable sinners. Just because an organization supports abortion does not mean they do no other good and not worthy of federal funds especially since denying such funding might very well cause them to increase their urge to get funding through more abortions services.

Now the Fisher Humphries article (in large part laudatory of an early Christian homosexuality proponent Ralph Blair) is artfully done recognizing the possibility to two interpretations to the “clobber passages”. I wish I could get the article in front of the 14 families that left our church. Fisher was an interim pastor fro 1 year at our church and uniformly liked.

Excellent magazine that comes free of charge (but donations are encouraged).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:35 am

Here's a link to the summer edition of the Christian Ethics Today magazine that Keith mentioned.
http://christianethicstoday.com/wp/wp-c ... CET-98.pdf
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:38 am

Ed: Keith what do you mean by "A little leaven can make a whole loaf of bread bad may be a better comparison." Do you suggest that we only eat flat bread? Would you explain in what way " a little" leaven might make the loaf "bad'?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm not sure how they divide their funding, or allocate resources, but defunding Planned Parenthood will not stop them from providing abortion services. It may drive the price up somewhat, but since tax dollars cannot go to support or fund abortion, the only thing defunding Planned Parenthood will do is cut the beneficial health services they provide to lower income women. Of course, denying medical care to lower income families is a central objective of Republican policy. They won't admit it but that is what they want to do, for some reason.

It seems to me that if the objective is to reduce, or end, the practice of abortion, there would be a more effective way of doing it without dismantling health care for those who really need it.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Ed: Sandy,when you say "Of course, denying medical care to lower income families is a central objective of Republican policy. They won't admit it but that is what they want to do, for some reason."

I have to wonder, if you do not know the reason how can you be sure you know what the Republicans want to do?. Planed Parenthood does not just work with lower income families.
Ed Pettibone

Paul Simmons responds to Weaver

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm

in current Christianethicstoday.com

Simmons has great piece on the dignity of women in the abortion decision process in the first 20 weeks. And Simmons was key reference in the SS conversations at Collinsville Baptist that led to my ouster. I may say more about that later in History forum
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum