[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - If you couldn't be....

If you couldn't be....

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

If you couldn't be....

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Have you ever thought about what church you might be a part of if for some reason you could no longer be Baptist?

Since I'm now a Methodist I'll start with what I'd do if I couldn't be in the UMC.

Odds are I my first choice would be Episcopalian followed by UCC and then ELCA.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: If you couldn't be....

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 am

How come UCC would come before ELCA? I'd have thought their congregationalism would be an obstacle.

I think Episcopalianism might get my vote, too. Or maybe start my own denomination.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:44 am

I might just move out and start the perfect church, but, alas, it would cease to be perfect once I joined. :lol:

I might be more drawn toward either the Presbyterians, the UMC, or Disciples of Christ, but to join any of them, there would be issues I would need to work through--baptismal theology being the first.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:47 am

I’d be non-denominational.

First choice among denominations would be the Evangelical Covenant Church of America (unless they have become more doctrinaire or intolerant than they used to be).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:11 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:23 am

Ed I also think it unlikely that I'll make a denominational change again unless the UMC were to take a big jump to the right. But that seems unlikely given the over all diversity of the denomination. More than likely I'll retire in the UMC in another 15-20 years health allowing.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 am

Maybe I should have also asked what the deciding factors would be?

My own preferences would be

1. Episcopal or similar governance
2. Progressive theology.
3. A solidly sacramental theology.
4. NOT strongly Calvinist.
5. Strongly into social justice.

When I retire I can enjoy visiting around like I think William has said he does. :)
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:19 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Ed that is probably true. We have a different set of priorities.

I'm only comfortable with a very small amount of Calvinism. I don't believe in predestination or "once saved always saved."

And I'd not be surprised if we think differently about sacraments. I do fully agree with communion and baptism as means of grace. And I do believe that baptism is connected to God's actions rather than the individual's faith. That's why I support infant baptism.

Even as a Baptist you may recall that I was open to persons who had been baptized as infants becoming full members in a Baptist church. So I wasn't that many steps away from a sacramental theology previously looking back.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Ed: As i said when you made the switch; "Baptist and Methodist have both gained."
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Never thought I would be in a place where I "couldn't be" Baptist, and actually, that's really not the case now, though with the relative scarcity of Southern Baptists in this part of the country, a second choice had to be considered. There are a few of the KJVO, fundamental variety Baptists around here, though most of the "independent" Baptist churches are actually former ABC-USA congregations of the more conservative variety, but not that conservative. There are some General Association of Regular Baptist churches in a small association, with a local camp. We could have made the 25 mile round trip over across the state line to West Virginia, to an SBC congregation of about 150 in attendance, but decided to look at some other evangelical church, and wound up in a Christian and Missionary Alliance congregation. They baptize by immersion, and share a wide variety of similar doctrinal beliefs, including the inerrancy and infallibility of the Bible, a historical-literal interpretation of scripture, they don't ordain women, and generally, worship tends toward a more contemporary and spontaneous format that, on occasion, includes time for the laying on of hands for healing. I have had some difficulty with the elder leadership, not conflict, just having a hard time understanding how it is that they are making "spirit led" decisions at times when it seems the congregation isn't on board. They tend to be a bit cliquish as well, in that there's a "glass ceiling" when it comes to church leadership.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:52 pm

If I weren't Baptist or Disciples, I would likely lean towards Church of the Brethren or Mennonite Church USA. Given my strong Anabaptist leanings and my pacifist stance.
Shawn Koester

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:46 am

Tim: "When I retire I can enjoy visiting around like I think William has said he does. :)"

I'm pretty much done with that...got tired of unfriendly churches and poor preaching.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:09 pm

United Church of Christ....in a heartbeat. Especially since their recent decision on Israel. http://mondoweiss.net/2015/06/companies ... occupation
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:34 am

Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Sandy

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Chris

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum