[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptists and Fighting

Baptists and Fighting

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Baptists and Fighting

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 am

Hoped the subject would catch your attention.

The fight of the century is going to be fought Saturday night (Manny P vs. Floyd M.).

Is anyone going to watch or listen to it? (PPV is high)

If you have any interest who do you want to win?

Has anyone heard Manny's testimony? There is a video of it at ... https://www.facebook.com/trinitybroadcastingnetwork

Just to brag, the UAE is going to let all who use the DU cable company watch the fight for free. Of course it begins at 5 AM on Sunday here but with no church on Sunday it will work. Just have to wait for the first 6 fights to end first.

This could be the best fight Baptists could involve themselves in without looking stupid.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: Baptists and Fighting

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 am

I was raised on "". Cassius Clay was a childhood hero (and I still like the guy and admire him in some ways) but not because of what he did to Liston. I see no reason to look stupid by acquiring a liking for boxing in my sixties. Sorry, Jon.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:17 am

No need to make yourself look stupid but by the time I reach 60+, I don' t think I will worry if what I do looks stupid or not to others. I am almost there now, anyway.
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:18 am

Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:34 am

Yes, but to make a video about the importance of obeying the Lord Jesus in one's life, saying "I'm the real Christian, others aren't", while making one's living trying to knock other people unconscious, creates a certain amount of cognitive dissonance on my end.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri May 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Tickets going for over forty grand. I wonder how many will tithe their speculative "earnings".

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Ed: So Hauro, do you think Football (American) and Hockey are more Christian than Boxing? :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat May 02, 2015 12:57 am

Maybe 5%? I don't think any professional sport is particularly Christian, but Ithink if its raison d'être involves injuring others it is in all likelihood *less* so, or more un- or anti-Christian.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat May 02, 2015 11:43 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 pm

In boxing the ultimate goal is to render your opponent senseless or unconscious by skillful pummeling with thinly padded fists. I have difficulty describing that activity as Christian. Other sports involve hitting an opponent, football being the main example; however all of the others have an ultimate goal of placing some item in a location where arbitrary numbers are assigned, not causing an opponent to be unable to continue the event.

But...pummel away to the glory of God, or Mars, if that is what entertains you.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Blake » Sat May 02, 2015 3:24 pm

"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Haruo » Sat May 02, 2015 11:40 pm

But whatever you do, whether you fight or are peaceable, do all to the glory of God.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 am

If I had my way, both boxing and car racing would be banned as too dangerous. But I confess I like my football.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 03, 2015 7:12 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon May 04, 2015 11:49 am

Never cared for boxing. Certainly don't care for MMA (mixed martial arts). I can appreciate some aspects of the sport, but beating on someone "just for fun" or money isn't something I could find particularly attractive.

I'm just amazed that the bouts attract so much attention. I find the "stare-downs" before the match between the two competitors to be hilarious - when the guys at a press conference or whatever are put up on a stage together and get their "mean face" on and try to stare down the other guy with about 6 inches between them. :lol: Drama queens.

Ole Keith should've motored down the road to Talladega yesterday. The NASCAR boys were in town. Some day I'll get down there for a race. I don't watch it like I used to in the '90s heyday when some co-workers got me started watching, but I tune in every now and then. I would like to hit the Martinsville track since it's just down the road from the in-laws in Roanoke.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Re: Baptists and Motorboats

Postby Haruo » Mon May 04, 2015 7:54 pm

The only professional sport I was raised to take seriously, like much of Seattle in those days pre-Pilots/Sonics/Seahawks/Sounders, was the Unlimited Hydroplanes. Hydroplane Sunday was the only time we ever skipped church due to sports. Cassius Clay was a hero for his draft resistance, and the number-one-ness of the Yankees and the Packers were just unemotive facts akin to Stockholm and Prague being the capitals of their respective countries.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue May 05, 2015 3:56 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm

I believe I knew it has a CBF church. But I don't recall knowing what other affiliations the church had.

That's been a lot of years ago Ed!
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum