Mobile Hot Spots

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Mobile Hot Spots

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:27 am

Would some one tell me what I need to know about Mobile Hot spots. When Bruce visited us some years ago, while we where still in the Adirondacks w/o cell Phone towers I was surprised when I got up to find him in the kitchen working at is laptop online. WE are getting ready for a 4,000 + mile road trip, Including the ABC-USA Biennial this summer, and I am wondering about, the practicality of investing in such a device. I really am uncomfortable with unsecured Motel and coffee shop WiFi connections. Are the "hot spots" available other than trough the Major phone Companies?

While I am here, I am waiting on the Post lady to bring my first android phone, an LG Ultimate 2 aka an LG 41. And Will again be wanting to add a NASV Bible program. I am taking the advice of one of you who said to be sure to look for one that is downloadable rather than accessed through the Cloud. a freebee would be nice but I would happily pay for reliability. I am seeing tons of complaints about various free Bible Apps. Have any of you found a good one for Androids.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Mobile Hot Spots

Postby ET » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Ed P, I use the YouVersion Bible app on my Android phone. It's published by LifeChurch.tv and has a lot of different versions. I've downloaded several to my phone, including the NASB, so that I can read it should I not have wireless service. I've used several of their reading plans. A couple of years ago I used one to read through the Bible in a year, something I hadn't ever done.

Haven't ever done anything with mobile hot spots, however.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:45 am

Ed: Thanks Ed T. I just did quick look online and hope to download it after we get home from the annual ROTARY pancake breakfast at the Methodist church.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:29 am

I use a mobile hotspot through my iPhone. But if your phone doesn't have that capability I believe the major wireless carriers have a device you can buy to do the same thing. It basically connects to the cell towers and then broadcasts a wifi signal for you to log into. I'm a Verizon customer. I believe their device just uses data from your cell plan. If you don't have a data plan such a plan would be added for the hotspot. For light use 3-4 gig a month would cover most people. If you are going to use it for watching movies you'll need more data.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 am

I just check the Verizon web page. Their mobile hotspot runs about $100 for the equipment.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum