[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - How Well Were You Prepared in World Religions?

How Well Were You Prepared in World Religions?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

How Well Were You Prepared in World Religions?

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 am

One of the realities that of which I have become more intensely conscious is how much my seminary preparation in understanding other world religions was lacking. My required course was "Christian Missions and World Religions." Looking back now across more than 40 years, I am aware of how much it concentrated on the history of missions (and was taught by a former missionary). The text for the world religions seems to have concentrated more on Eastern Religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, and Shinto worship. Islam was given only a surface scan as mostly now in backward parts of the world. African religions were largely given only a paragraph or two. Over the past decade, I have been trying to learn as much as possible about Islam, since we live in a world where Muslims may soon outnumber Christians. Does my experience parallel others of you in college and seminary training?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: How Well Were You Prepared in World Religions?

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:03 am

I'm not sure I even got that much David. Everything I know about world religions has come from subsequent study.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:26 pm

I know I probably have a biased notion of the history of Nichiren Shoshu.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Lifelong learning very well

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm

With reading of Charles Kimba's When Religion Becomes Evil in 2002. I don't think Thornton ever read it
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Somehow, I suspect that world religions was one of the greatest gaps in most of our educations.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:36 am

In seminary I took a J term class on world religions where we visited a mosque, Hindu temple... I do not remember much of it because it seemed some of the students in the Q&A time dominated the conversation with questions which were not productive but done to make the student feel good about how wrong the religions was. I kept quiet and did my work - Imagine that. ;-)

jle
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:17 pm

One of my seminary courses in my first year was Inter-religious dialogue. We can learn from other traditions but it is important note we need to be centered in our Christian commitments while reaching out. Inter-religious dialogue is not about hiding our faith under a bushel nor is it "out niceing" each other. It is about celebrating the things we have in common, acknowledging our differences and being comfortable amidst our differences. The times I have engaged in inter-religious dialogue it has made me a stronger Christian.
Shawn Koester

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum