[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Faithful

The Faithful

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

The Faithful

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Around this time every year I hear the term "the Faithful" as though it's a plural noun. Can anyone explain this to me?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: The Faithful

Postby Haruo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Can you provide a little context? It's an adjective, but with an implied plural referent, like "the quick and the dead"...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 am

I think Chris means a noun, as in "the Faithful will gather at sunrise on Easter" like a "team". I'm bothered somewhat by capitalizing the term in mid sentence. I may get with the faithful at sunrise Sunday. The team gets breakfast afterward.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:13 am

I'm afraid that I hear in this the kind of put down to those who don't come. If the faithful make the sunrise service, those who don't come, are they "the unfaithful?"
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:57 am

T he context I hear is "The faithful will gather outside St. Peter's Basilica for mass....."
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 am

That explains it. It's a Catholic thing. {I sorta expected that.}
Chris

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 am

Well, at any time of year I would think it rather odd for large numbers of faithful Baptists (our predominantly irregular lack of confirmation notwithstanding) to gather in front of St. Peter's Basilica. But I think it's frequently used as William suggested, and often with the subtextual put-down of others that David heard, in non-Catholic circles.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 am

They are doing it again this Year at Gore Mountain. http://www.goremountain.com/events/east ... se-service I never made that trek even when we lived at the foot of Gore, just too cold for me. I did attend some great sunrise services while living in Ft. Myers Florida.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 pm

My guess is it is most often used by nonreligious journalists describing mass religious events in secular media. Be fun to see if you could devise a Google query to test my hypothesis.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:23 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 am

No, I don't think that that quite does it, Ed. For one thing, "Faithful" in that list is followed by its noun, "Citizenship", and not preceded by the article "the". For another, all the adjectives in the list are capitalized. And for a third, it's one instance in an Information-Superhighwaysized bucket of instances.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:43 am

I did a search for "a meeting of the faithful" and a large percentage were RCC. But there was a Promise Keepers site that used the term, a Jewish site, an Orthodox site and a smattering of other sites including a political site or two.

I didn't see it used by Protestants.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:50 am

What does that say about Protestant fidelity?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum