[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - OSAS

OSAS

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

OSAS

Postby Michael Wrenn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 am

Are there any Baptists here who do not hold to "once saved, always saved"?
Michael Wrenn

Re: OSAS

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:30 am

I am a universalist. I think salvation is God's basic intent.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Michael Wrenn » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Michael Wrenn

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:37 pm

Many Baptists, those in the Free Will Baptist tradition and many in the ABC/USA don't believe in OSAS. Many Free Will Baptists merged into the then Northern Baptist Convention in early 1900s. When I was pastoring a Baptist church in Iowa I found my church incredulous at the idea that anyone could believe in the Calvinist leaning doctrine of OSAS. Some had never heard of it.

I'm not a Baptist anymore so my own views now are not really relevant to your question though (just for informational purposes) I don't believe in OSAS and have not for probably twenty years or more.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 pm

The late Dr. Dale Moody, long-time theology prof at SBTS, who took his lumps over this issue, wisely pointed out that both extremes in the debate commit what he called the "punctiliar fallacy," essentially reducing salvation to the conversion experience. Bill Leonard made a similar observation in talking about people stuck in revisiting their conversion experience to make sure they really "got saved." Ironic that Dale Moody was forced into retirement prematurely for teaching the same view that A. T. Robertson taught at the same school 40 years earlier.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 am

I've met few Baptists, including most of those in the CBF/Moderate Baptist tradition, who did not accept the doctrine of eternal security. I think it is more due to the combination of the strength of other doctrinal emphases among Baptists, such as priesthood of the believer, a more literal concept of grace, symbolic baptism administered after a profession of faith, and a strong emphasis on the doctrine of eternal security. The idea of salvation by grace, and the use of terminology translated "eternal" that is the strongest usage of that term in the original language, is strong evidence for people who tend to interpret the Biblical text literally.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:12 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:38 pm

In the popular mindset, OSAS and "the security of the believer" are lumped as the same thing. To me, it does not seem identical. OSAS is a more transactional salvation doctrine while "the security of the believer" seems to encompass God's ability to keep what is committed to him. There is a vast difference between the two.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:49 pm

The soul that on Jesus hath lean'd for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes.
That soul, though all hell should enđeavour to shake,
I'll never, no, never , no, never forsake.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:40 am

If one can lose their salvation, what is it that is the cause for such loss?

For me, the idea of losing ones salvation would have to be due to not doing something correct - sinful... A behavior type action. If our actions (behaviors / works) cannot save us, why would they be able to cause us to lose salvation?

Then again, maybe the answer to my first question can clear this matter up.

jle
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:04 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:28 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:16 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 pm

But if you do play golf for all eternity or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.

Don't underestimate the generosity of the Lord towards someone who spent an earthly prison term in church every Sunday (maybe even in vestments) but wishing she could be on the links. Not to mention all the poor who simply couldn't come up with the greens fees.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Fun thread on UMC discipline in the UMC Music FB group this morning, in which I mentioned Both OSAS and OBAB.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Heck, I even mentioned UHOPFAP, which we all know is neither Methodist nor Baptist. ;-) OBAB is "Once Baptized Always Baptized"; the thread deals with threatening people with church discipline for violations of the BOM, BOD, or (and this was a new one on me) This Holy Mystery.

Oh, and I misspoke in saying it was on the UMC Music thread; it was on the personal FB timeline of Dean McIntyre, who's the head of the Music end of UMCDiscipleship.org for a few months yet (retiring soon).

Haruo
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum