[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Baptism Membership Question

Baptism Membership Question

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Baptism Membership Question

Postby browneyz1968 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 am

I am wondering after attending a Southern Baptist church for a couple of years- we recently asked about membership but I was told I would have to be immersed prior to joining this church.(my wife already has been) I am still studying the subject but my thought on this is, since becoming saved is what God requires for us to enter Heaven, why would a local church hold man to a higher standard for membership than what the Bible holds for eternal life? I'm seeking all points of view in this issue as I try to discern truth. Please help me with this as it has been an ongoing debate in my head for the past year or so. Thank you everyone in advance for your feedback.
browneyz1968

Re: Baptism Membership Question

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 am

Hi! Welcome to the BaptistLife.com forum.
Have you been physically baptized in some other mode, or have you only "become saved" without the application of water? I've never been a Southern Baptist, but my impression is that water baptism is from the local church's point of view more like voter registration this side ofJordan (the Spiritual Rio Grande, so to speak) than a passport application to get across the River.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Salvation followed by immersion is required for almost all SBC church membership. This link explains beliefs and practices further:

Many churches, almost all actually, have membership requirements beyond being a believer. Most SBC churches would rejoice in all who are saved and welcome attendance even without immersion. The NT practice of believing followed by baptism is why this is so.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

I've only been baptized once

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:49 pm

And that was at Truett Memorial Baptist Church in 1959. Kim Wimpey took the dunk at the same event. His sister Sharon was the prettiest girl I'd ever seen to that point in my life.

I think Morris Chapman's wife got baptized twice. She was good looking too; but we're all getting older.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:57 pm

I am aware of several Baptist churches that might accept you on another mode of baptism, but most insist on it being done after becoming a believer. I know of none that don't expect some form of baptism in order to be a full member.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:13 pm

But it doesn't have to be water baptism in any mode. The thief on the cross being perhaps the most famous case in point.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Jesus certainly thought the value of baptism was important enough to do it himself. It may be just a symbol using water, but it's what it symbolizes that is important, and I think Jesus was using it, as he did other things, to teach obedience. The only thing the water does is get you wet, but it symbolizes repentance, the washing away of sin, and the renewal of commitment to Jesus that is a necessity for church membership.

The example of the thief on the cross, more than anything else related to baptism, is proof that baptism is symbolic, and has no saving power in and of itself. But the thief never had a chance to become a member of a local body of Christians.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:08 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:56 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:28 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 am

Ed: Kith, what did your infant baptism symbolize? I don't see any one here advocating that the requirement baptism is "merely" for joining a local church. To me believers baptism is a symbol of ones commitment to follow Christ example, probably the easiest, so what is the point in resisting it?

Now I seem to hear a under tone from some that suggest the strange Idea of re-baptism on moving from one local church to another even another Baptist church that I have heard of being practiced in some churches but I have never observed it. That IMHO would be overkill.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:27 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:57 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby browneyz1968 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:00 am

browneyz1968

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

brownyz1968,

What you've run into is that Baptists believe differently from many other Christian groups about the purpose of baptism. While you see it as a rule that men made up, that isn't what Baptists believe about it. As a former Baptist and now UMC pastor I can tell you that the doctrinal beliefs are different on this issue (and a few others) between United Methodists and Southern Baptists. Both are groups of sincere Christians.

But what I think you may need to think about is if you are willing not only to join that local church but also to be a Southern Baptist in belief and not just membership and/or how much a difference it makes to you that the church believes differently than you do.

Just so you know, you also could not join a United Methodist Church if you had not been previously baptized either. The difference is that most Methodists are baptized as infants, small children, or at confirmation. If you remember, when you were confirmed you took membership vows. Those are actually "baptismal vows." Baptism since the foundations of the church has been a requirement for being a part of the Church. So the bigger issue here is if you feel comfortable with being rebaptized and also if you feel comfortable being a member of a church that believes your first baptism was invalid.

It is a tough decision to struggle with. May God bless you as you seek discernment.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 pm

KJV: "And Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water..."
N.A.S.: " Jesus went up immediately from the water...."
Williams: "He at once went up out of the water..."
Beck: "He stepped out of the water..."
That was Gospel of Matthew. I looked in the others and I can find no translation that says His head was under the water.

Every Saturday night, when I take my bath "I come up out of the water:", but my head never goes under.
It doesn't matter.

If the Baptist church you wish to join, has such restrictive regulations for membership...you dot want to go there. Join another church with more enlightened viewpoint.

Next thing they will try to tell you is that you can't take Communion unless you've been immersed. Enuf already!
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 pm

I am glad I was immersed, and I find it much easier to be "buried with Christ" in immersion than in affusion or aspersion. But I agree with Chris that an insistence on immersion as a prerequisite to membership or to the Lord's Supper is a limiting, sectarian way of doing things.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum