[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - ABCNash & Bishop Yvette Flunder

ABCNash & Bishop Yvette Flunder

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

ABCNash & Bishop Yvette Flunder

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:16 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: ABCNash & Bishop Yvette Flunder

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 am

There's some pretty vocal pushback on the lesbian invitee from some black Baptists:

The author, Dwight McKissick is a friend of mine and his church is dually affiliated with the SBC.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:55 am

I never heard of a UCC Bishop before.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Interesting.

It seems that following the national secular awakening to the legitimacy of homosexuality and same-sex marriage, the church is beginning to talk about it more and more. The prophets are appearing. That parallels the eventual abolition of slavery and acceptance of a spherical globe & the sun not being at the center of the universe.

Are we adult enough have that discussion?

For the biblically inclined (as I certainly am) a lot depends on whether one is open to Paul and the author of Leviticus being wrong on some subjects at least as to a given commandment’s continued application in this day. Genesis 2 and Jesus were talking to the majority of marriage/sexual relationships (really not commenting on the morality of all types of relationships).

Note I disagree with those interpreters that claim Romans 1:26-27 is about pederasty or temple prostitution or some other practice in ancient Greece or Rome- Paul spells it out as man on man or woman on woman sex and he is condemnatory. But present day scientific and behavior sciences say homosexual attraction can be in-bred or environmentally induced through no fault of their own. Paul (like the OT writer who thought the earth was the center of the universe or flat) wrote when that knowledge was not available.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby linda » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:33 pm

My bipolar son's hypersexual acting out is genetic or bred in.

Bet none of you are going to say he has every right to seduce teen girls or attack grown women, both of which are real possibilities off his meds. I doubt the apostle Paul knew about bipolar disorder, but he had a lot to say about proper sexual outlets.

How is being gay any different than what my son experiences?
Linda
linda

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:37 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Ed: Keith wrote, "Don’t know anything about bipolar hypersexuality. If it is truly inbred and the contact is consensual, then I’ll have mercy on him at the very least. Trust you do as well." You may have learned a little if you had tried to understand Linda's post.

BTW, I am not persuaded that you know much about homosexuality and or mercy either.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:52 pm

My, my. I have struck a nerve in both William's and Ed’s psyche.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Guess it was the bit about flat earth, geocentric solar system/universe, slavery, errancy...

Maybe it just looked like lecturing and moralizing.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:01 pm

There are prophetic voices beginning to come forward on this issue, and Dr. Dwight McKissic is one of them.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:52 am

This is one of the controversies that would be happening at an SBC seminary if not for the CR.

Happy to help, brethren.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:04 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:48 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:07 am

Bruce Gourley and myself will be at the American Baptist College in Nashville on 20-22 April for .

I’ll have my ears open about this issue.

are some letters of support for Dr. Forrest Harris President of the ABC in Nashville and his invite to Yvette Flunder.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:50 am

I see some of the same logic in the letter posted by Keith as I see in some of the arguments here. Why are they so enraged about same-sex issues, but not concerned about fornication, adultery, etc., etc.?

Aside from that being a somewhat subjective perspective, depending on who is making the argument, and about whom they are speaking (the nebulous and undefined "they are doing......") the fact that someone doesn't seem to treat other sin "equally" doesn't justify the homosexual behavior. If you follow that line of reasoning out to its logical conclusion, then the American Baptist College should also invite an adulterer, a fornicator, and perhaps even a prostitute to speak at their lecture series. I'd say the reason that acceptance of homosexual behavior is creeping into the church, and becoming accepted and not considered from a Biblical perspective is because the church has been soft on adultery, divorce, fornication, and gluttony.

Prophets, from an Old Testament perspective, had the job of calling Israel back to repentance when it drifted into idolatry and sin, and when they continually refused, to speak about God's judgement. They were rarely, if ever, celebrated, lifted to prominence or invited to the latest back patting conference of prominent religious leaders. They weren't trendy, nor were they up on the latest academic fad from seminary. They had the spiritual gifts of discernment and interpretation. Dwight McKissic's blog post is the prophetic voice here.

https://dwightmckissic.wordpress.com/20 ... onvention/
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 am

https://dwightmckissic.wordpress.com/20 ... onvention/

Ed: Thanks Sandy for this link, I will share it with my NBC friends, most of whom will find it supportive of their position.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum