[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - nine reasons to keep the church choir

nine reasons to keep the church choir

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

nine reasons to keep the church choir

Postby Cathy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 pm

I appreciated this blog post and shared it on Facebook knowing my friend (pianist for the local mennonite church) would like it. So I'll share it with you. I do miss a church choir and might become a regular attender of the Mennonite Church if I lived closer.

http://www.theologyinworship.com/2014/0 ... oir-alive/

My friend had already shared this one.

http://mennobytes.com/i-dont-have-a-ham ... te-hymnal/
Cathy

Re: nine reasons to keep the church choir

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:06 pm

I agree with all nine points. A choir is a blessing when it does its work well.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Timsings » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 pm

They forgot #10: The congregation will likely remember what the choir sings better than the sermon.
"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 am

I agree with all nine, in fact all ten including Timsings addition.

Usually choirs are eliminated when a church converts a traditional service to a contemporary service. But the best studies I've read on worship contend that adding new worship services in a different style can be valuable for church growth but eliminating services by replacement gives less options and less opportunities for growth. You add opportunities for worship you don't take them away.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby James » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Hampton Baptist Church would collapse w/o our hymnal, choir and organ. How can faith be maintained without music? How can music be maintained w/o faith.

In a Viet Nam prison camp, Americans had no Bibles. Everyone contributed verses they knew, but large gaps remained until some long time choir singers were added to the population. Most of the gaps disappeared as Bible passages set to music became texts added to a hand written Bible. (That's the story I read years ago. I do not know if it is literal truth, but it could happen.)
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum