[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - So this is what Tom DeLay meant when he threatened judges?

So this is what Tom DeLay meant when he threatened judges?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

So this is what Tom DeLay meant when he threatened judges?

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:07 am

DeLay and Frist have been having secret meetings with James Dobson and Tony Perkins about overturning the judicial system, and the LA Times (thanks to Barry Lynn and Americans United) has the tapes to prove it.

Dobson's biggest beef with the courts? The recent ruling against executing minors.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... ome-sports
Eric

Re: So this is what Tom DeLay meant when he threatened judge

Postby jerryl » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:57 am

jerryl

Postby mlovell » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:52 am

mlovell

Postby Haruo » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby bobfrgsn » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:49 pm

Bob Ferguson

my blogspot: http://bobferguson.blogspot.com/
Free and Faithful Baptist are welcome to comment ...
bobfrgsn

Location: Mandeville, Louisiana on the northshore of beautiful Lake Ponchatrain

Postby Sandy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:21 pm

Well, they might think about working fast. Delay is probably not going to survive for the duration of this term, and even if he does manage to make it to the mid-terms, he'll be voted out. I live in his district. The Republicans in this area depend heavily on the centrists and independent voters and they want to keep this seat. Tom's vote totals have dropped from almost 70 percent to just barely 50 percent the last time around, and two local newspapers--the Herald-Coaster from Richmond-Rosenberg, which is the only daily published in the district, and a weekly called the Fort Bend Star, have both published polls which show that his former Democratic opponent Richard Morrison would win if the election were held tomorrow. The editor of the Star is a feisty lady named Bev Carter, and she is a staunch, leading Republican in this area. It may well be that she would run against Tom if he makes it to the election. Another candidate that has been mentioned is David Wallace, who is the extrememly popular mayor of Sugar Land, a Houston suburb that is the largest city in the district and has been the base of Delay's support. Wallace is a centrist Republican, a Catholic, and has a trememdous amount of appeal to the Republicans in this district who tend to be at the top of the upper middle class and largely unchurched. Among the 15 percent of the population in the area that is "churched," the vast majority of those are Catholic.

Tom's been doing some side-jobs the past couple of weeks, with speaking engagements at the NRA convention and some other gray and bald head gathering on Friday. Sizeable protest gatherings now appear wherever he does.
Sandy

Postby mlovell » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:50 pm

mlovell

Postby Haruo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:11 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Eric

Postby fox » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:15 pm

INFORMED GADFLY

fox

Postby William Thornton » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:33 pm

[quote="Haruo"]Interested to hear Jonathan and William's takes on this stuff. The Ashcroft bit does make me feel much more secure in my homeland.

wm: Take on what?

The 50 caliber stuff? Well you can take my 50 cal when you pry my cold dead fingers off it...wait a minute...I don't have a 50 cal...make that my cold dead fingers wrapped around a 22 cal, with which I can bring down a model airplane or something, so long as it's on the ground, sitting still, and I get real close to it...

Take on the filibuster rules? Well, here we go again...but without the lockstep among us conservatives that mod/libs love to trumpet. I'm on record around here somewhere as not being motivated to invest my pastoral capital in changing senate rules, first, and second, this parliamentary stuff is a 2-way street, double edged sword, swings both ways and all that.

Now, I'd be first in line to elect a president and senators who will appoint and approve more conservative judges...just show me my voter guide and I'm off and running on that.

Take on Molly Ivins? Pfft...she's just an ML wannabe.
William Thornton
Site Admin

I liked this quote better....

Postby jerryl » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:54 pm

jerryl

Postby Jonathan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:35 pm

Jonathan

Postby wilkey » Tue May 03, 2005 2:42 pm

Tom DeLay's take on the Supreme Court ruling on executing minors is that it ruined the GOP plan in the state to deal with overcrowded schools.
wilkey

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum