[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Will you buy this book if Fox autographs it?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm

1. Yes
50%
2. No
No votes
3. Only if I get a library copy
No votes
4. Maybe
38%
5. Depends
No votes
6. Would rather have an 8 x 10 glossy autographed over bbq lunch.
13%

Total votes : 8

FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Why he would make it so hard to find in his topic on the subject, I don't know.

The book is

Congratulations...I look forward to reading it...mebbe...
Attachments
image.jpg
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Do we have a list of the essayists along with Fox? I'd be curious to see a list. Oh, and congrats Fox!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

There actually is talk of some book signing events

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:00 pm

But the editor and I decided it would be small showing in Collinsville if we posted a no firearms allowed sticker on site; especially since the Prince and the Shooger Booger moved out of state.

Best estimates of a showing in ft Payne reached seven if Pat McFadden, recently retired from From first Ft Payne is not playing golf that day and brings the probate judge and church staff after their weekly lunch at the Cracker Barrel.

Randy Owen is local but after I talked to him three years ago he said he enjoyed the conversation but said why don't we wait for another 25 years before the next chat.

I have a following in Upstate SC from Furman to Gaffney. One friend, a Catholic from Ft Lauderdale wants an autographed copy so my firstsigning may be Homecoming 2015 on Furman campus. But don't none of you embarrass me if you wait that long cause all my Furman friends aint Babdiss!!!

Also I thought about a joint signing with Lamar Wadsworth in Cave Spring Ga first pretty weekend of late March. There's a nice Paqvillion there and fresh water Spring if anybody wants a goodBaptism with the book!!!!

Here was my original promotion but Dr. Thornton insisted on stealing my own book; this time it's okay cause he posted the book cover and started a poll so I take that as goodwill and I appreciate it.

See Baptist history on this site, Collinsville Church, for more. Editor Carl Kell sent word today the book is out Jan 10. About 15 testimonies of folks roughly in their 50s now on how the SBC takeover affected them personally. Good description in the easy google of U Tenn Press fall catalogu online. . Scroll down to page 6 there for Exiled Generations.
Last edited by Stephen Fox on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Much of my reading these days is for professional development. However, I did wade through Worthen's Apostles of Reason. But I think it might be quite interesting to read an anthology that accepted Stephen's story for publication. That tells me that either it's a blatantly one sided rehash of the distant past from a perspective that has long since been rendered irrelevant, or it contains a substantial array of variety. I'm also interested to see if Stephen's normal "guilt by association" and assertions of his perspective were included, and if so, how it was handled. I suspect, since this is a scholarly publication from a secular university, that he had to leave out his normal rants in order to get published.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:25 pm

What the heck, Sandy, let's read it first then label it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Here is official description

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 pm

http://utpress.org/catalogs/

Click on fall winter and scroll down to page six.

I've already lost one facebook friend today in the New Year over the bama game last night for contentiousness so in the spirit of Hospitality I like what Thornton and Rev. Bonney said though I'm okay with what Sandy said given our History. I do hope your local juco will get a copy of the book cause I'm pretty satisfied with the telling of my Pilgrimage and some of the other cast of characters look pretty interesting.

It may be me only, but I am especially gratified to have such an august platform for the anecdote of Stewart Newman visiting my Dad at the Truett Memorial Church in Hayesville on the way to a BSSB meeting in Nashville during the time of the Ralph Elliot controversy in 1060.

Good story from my perspective given Newman's history with Criswell, even if the source is yours truly.

1060 was the Battle of Hastings, was it not, so make that 1960. Glad I caught it before Thornton and Sandy did, cause that was a sitting duck if ever there was one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :brick: :brick:

Stephen Fox

Postby David Flick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:17 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Ed: The first time I met Dr. Kell was at the 1st National Mainstream Meeting in Greensboro. Being a bit Foxellian, that is the meeting where I first met Chris, and we BL.Cers shared our table with Miss Alma Hunt and a few of her young WMU friends. Also that is where David Curie the convener of the meeting almost missed the opening because he had to change suits after leaning against a freshly painted rail in the Elevator. It is also where Bruce Prescott then heard of the OK Mainstream, asked me to locate David Flick for him as he needed another speaker. I am not sure how much Flick got to enjoy his meal, because he was hurriedly making notes. David's presentation made Baptist press with careful misinterpretation, at the hand of Russ Moore who is now the President of the SBC "Ethics" Commission. As it is I have only been acquainted with 5 of the persons telling their story in EXILED Most notably Carolyn and Joe Crumpler who we got to know while in The CBF Central Area. Because they lived in far across the Greater Cincinnati metro area we saw them most often at meetings away from home. I have always been a bit disappointed that Flick didn't follow up on Dr. Kell's invitation to write of his experience with Anthony Jordan, for inclusion in EXILED . I look forward to reading Fox's essay. Although I imagine most of it in the the BL.C archives. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:36 pm

I honestly have mixed feelings about buying a copy. I am very interested in stories like David's and Fox's about their experiences in the SBC. But at the same time such reading usually brings up a lot of negativity I experienced while in the SBC.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:30 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 am

I put "Maybe" because while I would if I could, at least until I'm back from Europe in August, my book-buying budget is essentially zero. I will however be attempting to get one of the local libraries to acquire it.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:27 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:39 am

Friend Flick,

I know it is hard not to equate the failure or end of a organized church with a failure in ministry. But I believe that in your ministry at those churches that you touched the lives of people who were there when you were there.

I can't know how you feel. But I do know that it is easy to feel guilty for what happens at a church after you are no longer there.

One of the churches I pastored had a very bad pastoral situation after I left. The church called a pastor quickly (too quickly) after I moved to my next call and the new pastor subsequently committed misconduct and left the ministry causing great harm to the church. I felt guilty for quite a while because I thought, "well if I'd not left that wouldn't have happened." Yet I knew it was in God's timing for me to change ministries. And I did not make the decisions about what the church did or didn't do after I left.

No matter who we are or how good a pastor we can't control what a church does after we are gone.

Blessings,
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:35 am

I quite agree with Timothy on this, David. Looking at all those kids in the pews, I can't imagine that fruits of your ministry there are not still being spread about. Don't hang too much hope on the local church. The church universal and in invisible is the one we all belong to. And you had fruitful ministries in all those places. Amen.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 am

Sandy

Pic and gathering

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:00 pm

First week in 2015 has been raw for me with a flat tire and bad weather. But I'm online e today.

Thbanks for the mostly kind words. Flick and I mnay have to become facebook friends so I can access that glorious picture of 2006 in Atlatnaa, My heath left me soon after then. Only 8 short years ago I could still get to a few tennis balls and ride a bicycle, but as my Grandmother said in 83, when you "break" it happens in a hurry.

Thornton will be the kicker for a gathering. He can get to the Cartersville exit from the Buford Mall in an hour. If we can get him to come another hour over to Leesburg Bama, great ribs and potato soup Thurs even through Sat on HWY 68, fair compromoise for him and KeithE. Lamar only 40 minutes away though Rome or Cave Spring could be a compromise if Thornton is stubborn.

I'm excited about reading the other 20 entries in Exiled. My contributors copy should be in the mail to me very soon, as Andrae Couch sang. Hoping Jonathan Merritt does a review on his blog and maybe RNS. Could be interesting.

Stephen Fox

Just reread my effort

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:50 pm

I don't think I've checked it in some time as it was submitted in the summer of 2012 with some revisions this past year.

It's pretty strong. I think Thornton will like parts of the setup, my pilgrimage and headset that got me to the point of a churchin in Bama.

As of today I stand by it and hope to weather the storm of publication. Somebody should be reading the book today, though my complimentary copy hasn't arrived yet

Stephen Fox

Re: Just reread my effort

Postby KeithE » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:30 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Collinsville trending big in Bama today

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Stephen Fox

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum