[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Will you buy this book if Fox autographs it?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm

1. Yes
50%
2. No
No votes
3. Only if I get a library copy
No votes
4. Maybe
38%
5. Depends
No votes
6. Would rather have an 8 x 10 glossy autographed over bbq lunch.
13%

Total votes : 8

Got my copy yesterday

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Which means other contributors all twenty shoulda got there's by now as well. So the facebook wall for Exidled Generations should be picking up.

As published, I had a couple atrocious sentences, one incompete; and couple episodes of sophomoric writing. But overall the substance is strong.

I nominate the Hancock woman for best writing in the anthology. She is a published autobiographer, with a Harvard degree and Law from Georgetwon. "Trespassers will be Baptized, the Unordained Memoir of a Baptist Preacher's Daughter"

Dave McNeely of Carson Newman has a beautifully written piece as well, milking a metaphor of stairway from his childhod that ascended into the sanctuary for grand effect.

Many of you will know Lavonn Brown active in CBF creating work from OK. His son has a "sardonic" piece in the collection.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:42 pm

My copy should be on the UPS truck in a couple of days. I ordered through Amazon, since the UT press seemed to be a bit steep. Took advantage of my free shipping as well.

Of course, I'm particularly interested in Stephen's contribution. I read the previous edit of Dr. Kell, Exiled: Voices of the Southern Baptist Convention Holy War and if this one, from the kids of the "exiled" SBC Old Guard, reeks of the same caustic arrogance, I'll set it down pretty quickly and let Amazon sell it to someone else.
Sandy

My contributions to the Index

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:09 pm

In 8 pages, David Flick, Thornton and Sandy, I was able to balloon index listings as follows

Martha Barksdale , Jesse Helms
Mary Catherine Reed , Paul Pressler
David Currie, John Birch Society
Mark Baggett , Marshall Frady
Mel Deason , Martin Luther King, Jr
Catherine Allen, Robert Redford
Stewart Newman , Brett Morgen
Sid Stealey , Momma
Olin Binkley , Michael Haneke
Randall Lolley, Grandmother Jordan
Tom Corts , Bobby Kennedy
Billy Fox , Lyndon Johnson
Ron Rash , Bill Moyers

Dietrich Bohoneffer, Paul Laserre, Frank Fisher and Will Willimon, Charles Marsch and the Jubilate Singers from the University of Virginia!!!! And Deacon Governor Bentley

Wall Street Journal, Ethicsdaily.com, Tom Edsall and Baptistlife.com/forums

The "local lyberrian" is how they pronounce it here, and W.A. Criswell; also Pulitzer nominee Wayne Flynt and his former pastor John Jeffers and SEBTS proff Fred Grissom

Stephen Fox

Re: FOX TO BE IN ACTUAL LEGIT PUBLICATION

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:38 am

Eight pages? What, having a bad day when you wrote, Stephen? You've been known to drop that many names in one paragraph.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Thought I would be concise

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:17 pm

I hope you have a copy in hand by now, William. Get FBC Athens to take your copy for their church lyberry after you read.

I talked to a distant relative of Pastor emeritus Jon Appleton last week; read her a couple paragraphs from my effort. She was astounded but offered no opinion. She's a good woman. Has an excellent VBS in little country church not far from the red light downtown.

Thornton, there may be a Furman event in the rollout. You should drive up if there is. No excuses

I do love my little testimonial in my eight pages about the day Stewart Newman stopped by Truet Memorial Church in Hayesville, NC in 1960. Could be the marker for some Ron Rash Treatment, at least a short story. Maybe Lamar Wadsworth and I can come up with something, just for Sandy and his love of "fiction"!

Sandy and Thornton will love my reference to a Rash Character in my parable of the Bama churchin!

Stephen Fox

Sandy, We All should be concerned

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Fundy Baptist leadership are pervasive in the Kabballah of this piece:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive ... insrc=hpss

Stephen Fox

Wacker, 1990, Century

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:57 pm

This topic got derailed a little into Sandy and others old complaints about the takeover. Grant Wacker in 1990 in his closing two paragraphs in the Century review has a great definition aoubt the guts of the matter. Fundis were the bad guys and no way around it, still this is an interesting take, not unfamiliar to many of you:

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/book- ... t-conflict

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum