[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 6 Things I Wish Christians Would Admit About the Bible

6 Things I Wish Christians Would Admit About the Bible

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: 6 Things I Wish Christians Would Admit About the Bible

Postby William Thornton » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:54 pm

No one is complaining here. I have a high degree of tolerance and acceptance of my more lib colleagues. I prefer not to fund their paychecks, though.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

William and liberal arts education

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:56 pm

William, friendly questions though frank, I don't mean them condescendingly or with menace.

But it is clear to me, especially after reading Molly, that the SBC takeover group has a problem with liberal arts education. When you prefer not to fund the paychecks of Foy Valentine and Lolley, Molly Mrshall, Tom Corts and Ken Chafin, you don't have or didn't have an alternative other than the groups which I routinely invoke at this juncture. That evidence is clear.

So you can testify where you are now, but that is not where the takeover artists were then.

Jeff Rogers 20 years ago in his address in the Furman lecture series What Really Matters made the distinction clear between an Adrian Rogers and Jerry Vines education on one hand, and Tom Corts and Bill Leonard, Bill Obrien and Elizabeth Davis, the new presidents of Carson Newman and Furman respectively; and I think in your gut you are too bright to throw in with Vines and Adrian with all the baggage, the ignorance and backwardness that brings.

Maybe as W said I misunderestimated if not misunderstood or misunderstand you and Sandy.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Stephen, hope you had a nice Christmas. Make it a resolution to get over here sometime in 2015. I see no value in any discussion of this with you. I understand your feelings, bro.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:28 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:10 am

by Derek Flood.

I highly recommend this book for ya’ll to read although I’m only through Chapter 2 (19% per Kindle). But I’m already convinced it will be one of the most significant books I will ever read. In my case it does not so much transform my thinking (as did in the 80’s) but it confirms and gives intellectual weight to my overall understanding of the Bible as trajectory from a rules/violence-to“ungodly” basis to a Spirit-driven-love/encourager-of-all (even-the-ungodly) basis.

The basic premise (so far) is that we must learn to read the Bible as Jesus did. The OT is an extended dispute between a violent vengeful God (majorian view in the OT) and a compassionate God (minority view in OT; mainly in Prophets but Psalms and Job contain both the vengeful and compassionate visions). OT scholar Brueggemann calls this testimony and counter-testimony. Jesus in all cases sided with the compassionate view and took up the disputation in His dispute with the Pharisees and Teachers of the Law.

Removing the statement of the BF&M "The criterion by which the Bible is to be interpreted is Jesus Christ", is seen to be a gigantic step backwards.

Flood says one should not be a “liberal cherry-picker” (who should value the non-cherry portions in that a clearer contrast can be drawn between vengeful and compassionate streams). And one should certainly not be a violence-condoning or judgmental conservative if one is to be a follower of Christ.

I post this here in hopes of it “disarming” (or at least pausing for reflection) the great debate over inerrancy as well as being a seventh (and probably an overriding) admission of what I would wish Christians understand about the Bible. I'll will write a book review when I’m finished.

BTW, Stephen, I bought a Kindle version of Worthen’s Apostles of Reason and read 2 chapters of that as well. Flood’s book is much better. And William I found a $2 version of The Flash Boys at McKay used books in Nashville last Friday. That will also take a back seat to this and many other books.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Jonathan Merritt interviews Molly Worthen

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:47 pm

You know Merritt to be the son of fundamentalist SBC President James.

Makes this interview all the more fascinating, especially when Molly uses Billy Graham and Francis Schaeffer as reference in single breath An easy google

Stephen Fox

Merritt interviews Molly

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Stephen Fox

Postby John Sneed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 pm

If the Bible is errant and fallible then Christianity is whatever we say it is and there is no standard by which to establish doctrine and life practice. With an errant Bible, we are god and no one else.
John Sneed

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:39 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:42 am

Last edited by KeithE on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:54 am

Ed Pettibone

Why Not read Molly and Merrit

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:41 pm

It does not appear Keith, Snee nor Pettibone rad the Molly Interview. Why not read the interview and address it rather than trot out the same statementen years and more now.ts that have been made on this board for

Engage the new light by Molly and Merritt

Stephen Fox

Re: Why Not read Molly and Merrit

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:07 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Where does the Bible define its canon? That's only the beginning of the questions that for me make assertions about the infallibility or inerrancy of 'the Bible' moot if not idolatrous.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Ed Pettibone