[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 6 Things I Wish Christians Would Admit About the Bible

6 Things I Wish Christians Would Admit About the Bible

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: 6 Things I Wish Christians Would Admit About the Bible

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:07 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Molly Worthen says SBC takeover not intellectually honest

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 pm

For a number of years I've not used quarterly Sunday School material when I'm teaching Sunday School. I usually dig out other Bible study or CE resources. The problem with the quarterly material is that it is a thousand miles wide and an inch deep in most cases.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:36 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:32 am

Yeah, I mean the original autographs of 1611 are there plain to see.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:16 am

You do wonder if people like that know that King James was the head of the Church of England (not a fundy KJVO Church by any means) and that he was believed to be gay.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:34 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Maybe Ed. But a lot of KJVO people often designate themselves as Independent Baptists for no other reason than that they immerse. I've yet to run across a KJVO person who is willing to think much about the fact that the translators of the KJV actually held to doctrines that they openly repudiate.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:09 pm

And the translators left a vastly informative prefatory essay that effectively debunks most of the KJVO notions from the get-go.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:06 pm

I like the KJV much, much more than I did back when I messed with all that greek text stuff. It's a beautiful work.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Two things for bl.com about the Bible

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 pm

One:

Read Molly Worthen's Apostles of Reason instaed on continue to pontificate almost verbatim things they were saying 15 years ago and then testify here about their edification

Two, read Jerritt interview of Worthen or the one linked about a month ago now and advance the insight about Billy Graham and Francis Schaeffer and they fogged things up
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:48 pm

In Missouri at least Ed I ran into several churches that had no history of being in a Baptist denomination before becoming Independent Baptists. Now as you've said, that just could be my personal experience. But when I'd ask them why they were Baptists the only answer I would get is that they baptize by immersion. Maybe I just ran into the quirky churches. But there are a lot of little independent Baptist churches both in Missouri and parts of Indiana I'd been in. Two of them were in Rushville, IN. There was one ABC church one SBC church and two independent churches. One quite clearly said that they were "Fundamentalist Baptist, Pre-Millennial and KJV Only" right on the church sign. :D At least there was no false advertising.

Again they had no discernible connection to a previous Baptist organization that I ever heard about.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:09 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:15 am

Ed Pettibone