[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Firestom Brewing over transgeder use of Bath rooms

Firestom Brewing over transgeder use of Bath rooms

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Firestom Brewing over transgeder use of Bath rooms

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Re: Firestom Brewing over transgeder use of Bath rooms

Postby Haruo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Except for the header I don't see much of a"firestorm" there, Ed.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Ed: Note I said a firestorm is brewing, not that it is even fell flame. Most that I have heard don't think it (the new plan) will actually come about. I think that is wishful thinking.
Ed Pettibone

Postby linda » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:28 pm

There hasn't been a firestorm where I live, and this would be old news here.

But it isn't without its problems. First off the bat, transgenders are each at a different point in their journey. I would never know some ladies were not born ladies as they enter and leave the wally world rest area. But then again, some would make me feel distinctly ill at ease. And a few would leave me feeling threatened. Sort of like the time in Lowe's when I was "busiest" and the gentleman mistook the ladies' room for the gents'. At least he retreated hastily.

At the schools it could also be a problem. I "get" that the trans child should not be ostracized. What about the non trans child who holds it all day, uncomfortable with going with those who's plumbing screams "opposite gender?"

Public areas here now usually also offer a "family" restroom. Single occupancy, with baby changing area and the little chairs to hold the toddlers while mom or dad goes. Anyone can use them, no children required. I've done so myself when someone not far enough into transition entered the ladies' room. I felt uncomfortable and unsafe, and made other arrangement. I know some guys will go with their wives or daughters to the ladies' room door, let her holler and make sure it is empty, and then block the door until she comes out. That may offend some, but on occasion it seems the only safe thing to do. (Yes, transgenders are the most likely to be assaulted, but where there is either a high population or high acceptance of them, sometimes deviants pretend to be trans and rest room rapes are not that uncommon.)

It is seldom an issue unless the transgender persons are not far into transition, or unless the parents of the trans child make a public big deal of it. Otherwise, stalls and well fitting doors on them keep the firestorm down. At least here, where for a time the population was extremely high.

Perhaps schools will have to offer his, hers, and one at a time rooms also.
Linda
linda

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum