[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pope and Evolution

Pope and Evolution

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Pope and Evolution

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:46 am

I guess the Pope surprised a lot of people yesterday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 22514.html

I am eagerly awaiting 10:00 am (EDT) so I can watch Pat Robertson "GO OFF".
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Pope and Evolution

Postby KeithE » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:29 am

Last edited by KeithE on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 am

I was wrong. Robertson had nothing to say about the Pope's statement on evolution. His segment of the October 29 episode may have been taped earlier in the week.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Why all of this sudden this interest in the Pope on a Baptist website" My maternal forbears in Switzerland departed Catholicism in the 16th century, I am not particularly anti Catholic. Those who have been here very long have seen me write that one of the best sermons on salvation that I ever heard was by a Catholic Priest who was the Chaplin for the Cincinnati Bengals. Also JFK, was one of my favorite Presidents.

Yes I realize that Popes have a large following and exert a lot of influence but the Jesus whom they purport to represent never ran a popularity contest. And I do not buy into their Church's teaching regarding their infallibility. Nor do I believe Peter was a pope let alone the first.

BTW, I have bought into evolution for at least 67 years. And I would not doubt that there was a BIG Bang somewhere in the process when GOD Created the Universe. My speculation wold be on the third period. Generally referred to as the third day. However the Hebrew yom is not that specific. See http://www.oldearth.org/word_study_yom.htm
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:53 pm

I was told that since Pope John XXIII the official doctrine of the RCC has been to support evolution. So this shouldn't have been news. I agree with Francis on both evolution and at least on what I know about the Big Bang theory. Makes sense to me.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:59 am

From what I have read, Catholic teaching about accommodating evolution goes well back into the 19th century. The famous paleontologist and evolutionist, Pierre de Chardin, was certainly both in the good graces of the Catholic church and the scientific community.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

More distinctions

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Between the Pope, literate folks and the leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Read Pressler's Definition of Inerrancy. The SBC is Young Eart Creationists, It all started ten thousand years ago as Adrian Rogers Preached it in Jerry Vines West Rome Baptist Church in the winter of 79 and again in 81. The Tower of Babel, the whole deal; Science be Damned.

Yall know my Begats; maybe I should share them in the History section.

I do have to say Doyle Hargraves got his evolutionary inerrancy about right in Slingblade. Lo and BEhold someone sayeth some ____ to another and Just how _______ are you anyway.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum