[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Driscoll Resigns

Driscoll Resigns

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Driscoll Resigns

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Yesterday it was reported that Mars Hill church is disbanding. Some campuses will become independent, autonomous local churches, others will fold and blow away in the first breeze.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:56 am

It would be interesting to know if that's a decision reached because the leadership of the church realized it was built around the personality of its pastor. Controversy and a resignation of a pastor usually have an effect on churches, but that effect is magnified in mega churches. In this case, where multiple congregations sit and listen to the pastor on video, and have done so for years, his departure must have a much more far-reaching effect.

From the time I was in seminary, I've heard that one of the marks of a successful pastorate is a seamless transition to the next one. I'm thinking that breaking up into smaller congregations is probably a good thing, though the individuals who take on responsibility for pastoring and preaching "live" instead of depending on a pre-packaged and programmed "video" presentation might have a rough time living up to the cosmetic expectations of their church members.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 am

Ed: Hauro. do you know if evergreen has any interest and or plan to assist these "orphaned" churches ?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:53 am

I know of no such plans.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Worshiped at Fremont this morning; didn't hear anything about specifically "helping" the Mars Hill congregations, but we did pray for the many new Christians among them who are suddenly bereft of the places and support structures in which they met Jesus.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:41 pm

It would be quite astonishing if smaller, struggling congregations helped the independent MH satellite franchises. The church governing group has said it would do so, perhaps if property sales yields a surplus. I wouldn't be optimistic. This is an interesting situation.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:53 pm

If they're selling the satellite campuses, where will the independent congregations meet? There is a provision in what Haruo posted from them that mentions the independent congregations could buy their building, though that seems superfluous. I guess, with the central congregation owning them, and disbanding, they would have to sell the buildings.

I would think that a lot of former Mars Hill members have already drifted away, most probably just away from church, though a few may have moved to existing churches. Their independent churches are going to have to become stable and succeed if they have any hope of keeping most of their people in church, and moving forward in discipleship. For the sake of the new Christians in the church, I hope that's the case.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:15 pm

I read that the new independent congregations could assume the debt if they could.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Koester » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:29 pm

While I found a lot of brother Mark's theology and ways of being church despicable, I cannot rejoice when a brother or sister fails. My heart and the Lord's heart breaks for him and the people involved in his ministry. I do believe with my whole heart that our Father will bring good out of what seems to be evil and destructive. He will have to answer to God for what he did. I remember where sin was present grace abounded further. Forgiving Driscoll does not mean it gives him license to sin, nor does it mean forgetting or ignoring it but it does mean that we release him from the pain, the suffering that he has inflicted on other people. In time I pray that he is able to reflect, center, and be willing to go through the refiners fire of God's love so he can serve in a way that is mutual, respectful and is Christ like, Christ affirming. When we rejoice at a fall like this we are no better than he is. Father, forgive him, for he does not know what he does.
Shawn Koester

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Cathy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:38 am

A church without members?
Cathy

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:54 am

It's kinda like going to the movies. You don't have to "join" to enjoy the show!
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Cathy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Cathy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Phoenix npr did a report on Mark Driscoll. He may need to move again. Or consider changing his name.

http://kjzz.org/content/270354/pastor-m ... co-lawsuit

The video below details a legal action that some prior members of Mars Hill are planning on pursuing with funding through a gofundme campaign.

I was surprised how many of the alleged actions were similar to some of the things done by the previous pastor in the tiny church I have attended.
Cathy

Postby Haruo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:18 pm

The first link is not accessible, but Google has a .

The second link is fascinating. Looks like Driscoll isn't the first shady character this architectural curiosity has attracted.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Cathy

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum