[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Driscoll Resigns

Driscoll Resigns

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Driscoll Resigns

Postby Haruo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:37 am

Top story on the front page of the Seattle Times yesterday: -267 comments as of this posting.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Driscoll Resigns

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:49 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm afraid this is not the normal resignation. There is a boatload of problems.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 pm

I will certainly be in prayer for the many members of the church who will face disillusionment and deep disappointment. The Bible warns about "placing your trust in princes," a phrase that pops into my mind frequently when mega-church pastors resign when there are problems, or when they've failed. Most big congregations are build around the personality and preaching style of their lead pastor, not built as bodies of Christ by the Holy Spirit, and this is an inevitable result. I feel very sorry for people whose spiritual life is tied to the preaching ministry of the pastor of this church.
Sandy

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:40 pm

:( I have been invited to so many events at "Megas" over the years and come away with a "this is too good to be true" feeling. Or known people who weren't terribly bright who referred to "Our Pastor" where I could hear the capitol letters. The bigger the billboard, the more people hurt when the rug gets pulled out from under the throne. Unfortunately, I think too many people who follow such authoritative people are looking for easy answers and glad to let someone else do their thinking for them. In a part of the country where a LOT of people have little interest in "organized religion", this situation won't help witness efforts of other churches.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 am

Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Does Mars Hill survive this? And if it does, or doesn't, is this a predictor of what can happen in other mega churches that are wrapped around their pastor as tightly as Mars Hill?
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 am

Including both their original (Ballard) location (including their corporate offices)
Mars Hill.jpg
Former Ernst Hardware Store
Mars Hill.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 8831 times

and their University District one, which is the old University Baptist location, my childhood church (building).
download.jpg
former location of University Baptist, Seattle
download.jpg (7.67 KiB) Viewed 8831 times

Also the former downtown location in the historic, domed First Methodist building.
sacredsites01.jpg
Seattle "First Church" old location
sacredsites01.jpg (75.37 KiB) Viewed 8831 times

The fourth location I've heard they're trying to sell is in suburban Sammamish. I've never seen that one.
Mars Hill Sammamish.png

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:42 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:52 pm

I don't necessarily think they're all "bad' (depending on what that means) though I think that most of them are warehouses of gifted people who are called to serve in the church, but are expected, or relegated to the "sit, listen and give" mentality that most mega-churches develop in their congregations. What I see are people who sit and soak, and who generally have no idea what it means to be the eyes, ears, feet, toes or heart of a local church ministry, using their gifts to serve.

I'd venture to guess that among SBC mega-churches, the transfer of membership between them at various times in their ministry represents a significant part of their growth. I know that in Houston, trading members is a regular occurrence between First and Second Baptist, with the pastor introducing the new members to the congregation as having come by promise of letter from a "sister Southern Baptist church." Lakewood has been in that mix as well, since they opened their new location in Greenway Plaza, central to the upper middle class Anglo Saxon Protestant population of the city and metro area, First and Second have ebbed as Lakewood expanded. Now, as I understand it, Lakewood is in a pretty significant downward spiral, and First and Second are benefitting.

Having grown up in Southern Baptist churches, where 20% of the people do 80% of the work, and 10% of the people give 90% of the money, I am theologically convinced that churches, as bodies of Christ, were never intended to get bigger than the courtyard of the typical Greek or Jewish home where they met, and that the intention was equal sacrifice in terms of work time and giving. There are several indications in the New Testament that have convinced me of this. I believe Ed Stetzer's research still shows that the bulk of evangelism in the SBC is taking place in the churches that average 120 or fewer in attendance on Sunday, where there is a much lower baptism to membership ratio than in the mega churches. The Koreans have discovered that having a lot of people under the banner of one church is effective only if the congregation is divided up into small units that fit in living rooms. I don't think the Biblical evidence is conclusive, but if you follow the statistical pattern out, both inside and outside of denominations, the churches are getting bigger, but the total number of Christians is shrinking, at least in this country, substantially. "Church growth" now is defined by how many people you can get into your building from another church somewhere else.

Like William, I don't know of very many mega churches that don't have celebrity pastors, or pastors who think they're celebrities.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:57 pm

There are about 175 SBC affiliated megachurches.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Without Driscoll saying anything to offer more clarity, it looks like he resigned instead of facing the findings of the investigating board.
Jerry_B

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Well, he did say the recent past had been unhealthy and even possibly physically unsafe for his family.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:05 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:08 am

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:48 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:34 am

What is the overall average, and what is the percentage change over five years for those churches that have been around for that long.

Haruo
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum