[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Are Catholics Saved?

Are Catholics Saved?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Are Catholics Saved?

Postby Jason Wolfe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Why or why not? :?
Jason Wolfe

Re: Are Catholics Saved?

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 pm

As in any Church/Christian denomination, if they believe in Christ, sure.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jason Wolfe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Jason Wolfe

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jason Wolfe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Jason Wolfe

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:43 pm

That's fine Jason. I thought you might have a direction you wanted to go.

I think that Roman Catholic theology can lean towards works righteousness but I also have a problem with churches that don't follow St. James when he says that "faith without works is dead."
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh, and do remember Jason, I'm a Methodist if that gives you any insights as to where I'm coming from.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 pm

My impression is that in the real world, Catholic teaching is not as unanimous as Catholic teaching says it is (same goes for Orthodox teaching, Eastern, Presbyterian, or otherwise). But most of the really ridiculous works righteousness teaching they are known for (x number of rosaries for sins y and z) are not really the Church's teaching so much as the "scare the hell out of them"-approach (related to Grimm fairy tales) of particular, often not very bright nor very deeply read, priests and nuns.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Some are, some aren't

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Just like the Babdiss.

I think the current Pope will be there before W.A. Criswell and Paul Pressler.

And then there are Three Christian martyrs busted in Westmnister Abbey for the 20th Century: Bonhoeffer, ML King and the Catholic Priest from El Salvador, Oscar Romero.

So yes, I'd say Romero is Saved and In Heaven.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Jason, the usual custom here is that we have a discussion. It is fine to ask questions but why don't you also share your opinion with us?

I'd also point out "saved" isn't the most common terminology among all Christians either. As in "are you saved?" It rings odd in the ears of many because it implies your relationship was something in the past, over and done with. Getting saved isn't something that stops once it is started. It is a continual life process not a one time "I walked the aisle and now I'm done" kind of experience.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:06 pm

I don't think that Roman Catholics have a different "gospel" than other Christians do. I do think they lean way to heavily on church tradition and ecclesiastical authority, but none of that disqualifies someone from receiving the gospel, nor does layering the practice of their faith with tradition. It makes your ministry cumbersome, and difficult to maintain.

I do not believe that grace is dispensed by a priest in sacraments, since I believe we receive grace from God directly through Christ. But having that view doesn't necessarily mean that you can't come to a saving knowledge of Christ in the Catholic church. Catholics tend to avoid evangelical style witnessing, and as a result, I think their tradition and customs can interfere with evangelism, but I do not believe that Catholics can't be saved by virtue of the fact that their doctrine is different in some ways. Their traditions are cumbersome and sometimes without specifics of origin, but that's not any more of a hindrance to conversion than Baptists who chalk up the baptism and witnessing numbers, and abandon discipleship.
Sandy

Postby Jason Wolfe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Jason Wolfe

Postby Jason Wolfe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Jason Wolfe

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:02 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby johnfariss » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 pm

What happened to Jason? Did he bow out, or is he just busy?

If you are still around, Jason, as a Southern Baptist pastor, I agree with Tim and Keith. Don't let the fact that not everyone uses the word "saved" as you do, or altar calls confuse has a past, present, and future dimension. Having been raised in the Deep South, spent some 15 years in the Upper South, and now ministering in a "border state" where almost one one here (in Maryland) is from here, a lot that I took for granted back home was more cultural and less Biblical than I had assumed. By the way: surely you would not argue that someone who professes Christ, whether on their porch, in a conservative, evangelical church, or a Catholic one, but whose life remains unchanged is heaven-bound? I myself would not, though I would also smile when reflecting on the Bible fact that it is up to God, not me, to decide who makes "the cut" and who doesn't.

John
johnfariss

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm sorry we haven't seen Jason back too. I was hoping to hear more on his views.

You've pointed out that a lot our language is cultural. I've noticed a lot of language and culture difference between northern and southern Methodists. Baptists split at the Civil War and didn't get back together. Methodists reunited in 1939. So northern and southern Methodists find themselves in the same denomination trying to bridge cultural differences sometimes well and sometimes not so well.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum