[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - At Ed's request...

At Ed's request...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

At Ed's request...

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:57 am

Thank you Ed for the invite to share about what God is doing in my life and in Dubai.

For well over a decade, my wife and I have had a burden to reach the nations. Missions has always been the heartbeat of our passion and God has blessed to give opportunity along the way to grow us to be prepared for where He has us today.

We knew we would never be able to afford the expense of traveling to the many nations to share Jesus so God did something in response to our prayers. He called us to Dubai. I could not have pointed to Dubai on a globe if you would have asked me and I know little to nothing about it except it has the tallest building in the world. I have since learned that Dubai is home to 90+ % of the worlds nations. Only 10% or so here among the 2+ million are Emirates (the term for those from Dubai) That means 90% or so are from somewhere else on this planet - from a different nation.

God has brought us to the nations.

I am now the pastor of EBCI (Emirates Baptist Church International). We are an English speaking ex-patriot church. EBCI is made up of around 28 different nationalities. We meet in a duplex villa which has been remodeled to make it possible for our 300 people to gather each Friday.

I just preached my fourth sermon as the pastor (we meet on Fridays as the work week begins her eon Sundays). I arrived in Dubai on September 1. My wife will hopefully have her paper work done so she can come with the next 8 days. We must prove to the governments satisfaction that we are married and not just shacking up. This takes three US certifications and one UAE (United Arab Emirates) legalization approval. Though tedious, I completely appreciate their moral stance on sexual behavior.

The two largest nations represented at EBCI are from the Philippines and India. Africa is probably the next.

Come visit. There is much to do here. If you want to go snow skiing we can make it happen. If you want to ride a camel, a quad, or do a Arabic dinner and show in the dunes, we can make it happen.

So much more can be said but I think that is more than enough info.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: At Ed's request...

Postby Haruo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:06 am

Sounds like a challenge and a blast rolled into one! I have a sister-in-law who has frequently visited Dubai for air shows.

Actually I think "Emirates" or "Emiratis" refers to anyone from any of the UAE sheikdoms, not just Dubai (Sharjah and Abu Dhabi come to mind, there may be others). And Africa is not one of the nations, but dozens of them. I don't expect ever to have a chance to visit there, but if the chance arises (as God sifts through the possibilities), I'll see you there!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:29 am

Jon, sounds like a facinating place to do ministry!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Jon, thanks for sharing your ministry. I wish you the best there.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Ed: Thanks for the reply Jon. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Best wishes
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Sounds like a fascinating ministry. One of my former staff members is also in the UAE, teaching at an international school. From what I hear, it is quite a place, both in terms of culture, as well as weather.
Sandy

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:10 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan

Jon, give my regards to EB and his family. I hope that the fellowship there is as warm and embracing as it always was. I hesitate to try to greet all of my friends there, but if Augustus is still there greet him also.

Grace and Peace Joseph Patrick...AKA Gerry Milligan
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:17 am

Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:18 am

Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:47 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:12 am

Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:18 am

Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:09 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan

Jon, I am known at EBCI as Gerry Milligan as that is my name. I started using the pseudonym "Joseph Patrick" so that I could post on Baptist Life without aggravating the administrators of the IMB following their refusal to honor agreements made to EBCI. If I remember correctly, EB's wife, Helen, was extremely angry with the new administrators over the Arabian Peninsula. Some day, ask her about her reactions.

Grace and Peace,
Gerry Milligan
Joseph Patrick

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:52 pm

Jon Estes

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum