[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Al Mohler gets it right

Al Mohler gets it right

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Al Mohler gets it right

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Sandy

Re: Al Mohler gets it right

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:42 pm

Bingo is right. Kinda reminds me of a family I used to work for. They had a severely disabled 11 year old son I used to feed and bathe and play with a couple nights a week while they worked, or went to Amway rallys. They couldn't figure out why I wasn't interested in alienating the few friends I had by pushing over-priced products on them and earning my way to glamorous vacations in places I would rather shove a stick in my ear than go to. Then Mom was diagnosed with a very fast moving form of breast cancer. She got a get well card from their prosperity gospel church and absolutely nothing from their Amway "friends". They found out who their real friends were. The women from the Cancer support groups who brought meals and did housework on the days I wasn't there and she had chemo appointments.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:50 am

I once had a former Presbyterian missionary to Bangladesh handle the health and wealth gospel in one sentence. He said, "If you can't preach it as gospel to a starving man in Bangladesh, it isn't gospel in America either."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:33 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

It's pretty easy to preach the prosperity gospel when your own prosperity comes from the collection plate of a church that belongs to a corporation made up of your family members, and of which mom is treasurer and writes the paychecks. It's not likely that the Osteens are deprived of much in the way of material possessions. Nor have they ever been.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Ed: I don't know that I am really ready to enter this "discussion" but It has been on my mind too long to-day wile I habe and need to be engaged in other things, I am starting to update the message board on the front of our house of worship (gee saying "our church" is so much easier) because the sign board itself is really beginning to look somewhat ragged.

Let me say from the start I am not an Osteen Ministries fan, but as you all know neither am I an Al Mohler fan. so perhaps I need only say "So Molher dosen't care for the Osteen's, what is it that he got right in iis latest blog post.

He starts with a blast at Victoria Osteen, but why for all therse years has he not blasted Joel Osteeen or the osteen Ministries?

Why now, could it be because the Osteen Ministries is having a rally in LOUISVILLE tonight? I was turned off by Al's blast from the begging because I think perhaps another thing that bothers him is the the Osteen's are a husband and wife Ministry team. And of all things Mrs. Osteen (Victoria) even "preaches" to both men and women in the same audience. Al is critical of the Osteens celebrity. His own blog page has his picture on it TWICE. The winter edition 2012 of the SOUTHERN SEMINARY magazine Has two full page ads that promote Up coming programs a. The Collegiate- Resolute -Conference Fe. 15 th -16th 2013 With the featured speakers R. Albert Mohler John Piper Russell D. Moore. And a 9Marks program for March 1- 2. 2013 Featuring Mark Dever, Albert Mohler, Russel Moore, Mike Bullmoore, Edward Copeland, and David Helm. That just happened to be the first SBTS publication I pulled out of a stack. I think the two adds are reflective of Mohler's celeb status at least among SBC folk and the lager reform element of devotees among Evangelicals . He is critical of the Osteen promotion of the Health and Wealth or Prosperity Gospel . While living a life that epidermises prosperity. I know some of you have seen the SBTS presidents mansion. Check out his travel schedule. Maybe get an invitation to his private library in Norton Hall. Note Jesus did not live in poverty and when Judas objected Mary pouring bottle vile of costly ointment over the head of Jesus what was the response from Jesus.

All I can say is, the Devil occasionally gets something right. And no I am not calling R.A.M. an imp of Satan. But he is an ace self promoter, as are IMHO reach of the Osteen's
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Sandy

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum