[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Mark Driscoll going on leave

Mark Driscoll going on leave

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Mark Driscoll going on leave

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Here is the statement he read from the pulpit yesterday:
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Mark Driscoll going on leave

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:21 pm

Ed: Hauro, that link seems to be dead.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:02 pm

So what brought this on? I am in the dark.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:26 am

I'm having no trouble accessing the link, Ed. Anybody else find it dead? You can also find it by going to YouTube and . (It's the first result after the two ads.) Oh, and it's also at the bottom of the religionnews story Ed linked.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 am

Works for me this morning (Tue, 8/26, 9CDT)
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:59 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Driscoll has been in a conflict with church members, former staff and former members and also the public in recent weeks. Statements he made about women on a forum under an assumed name (which he has admitted was him) do not at all paint a flattering picture of him. He comes across is hostile toward women, against the leadership of women in the church, and for male subjegation of women in church and the home. The language he used while posting, in what he thought, was an anonymous forum was vulgar.

Some of the accusations stem from actions taken some years ago but Driscoll, as far as I can tell, has never apoligized for the views he shared on that forum though he did apologize for the tone/wording.

I think this blow up has been a long time coming. Many accounts paint him as very authoritarian in his leadership style. That doesn't work in most places and in many places it will work for a while until you rub too many people the wrong way.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:40 pm

I'm not a Driscoll fan. There is a fleshy part of me that is enjoying his comeuppance. But alas the damage done to the Kingdom makes me very sad. I don't have much sympathy for him, he made his choices and has to live with the consequences. There will be a chance for him to repent but he has "earned" this timeout. My concern is with the people that were intentionally hurt, left in the wake of his arrogance.

Fundamentalism, even in hipster jeans, backed by a booming house band, is always destructive. No one ever wins.
Jerry_B

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum