Baptists who are moving to the UCC

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Baptists who are moving to the UCC

Postby Sandy » Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:Funny, I would say the UCC is neither hierarchical enough or clerical enough for my taste. :-)

I would concur that the DOC is a good choice for many former Baptists.

From what I've observed, there is a clerical structure, but there is no "church law" that binds churches to adhere to it. From what I understand, there is still an affinity within the UCC toward the different clerical hierarchies of the churches which merged to form the UCC. And I gather, from the families I know within my school who attend the only UCC congregation in our county, that smaller congregations like theirs, in smaller towns, struggle to get qualified pastors. We're in a relatively rural area, though not that far from Pittsburgh, and they've had an "interim" who has been there the entire time I've lived here, and they don't appear to be looking. It's a congregation of about 60 regular attendees, and gets lots of visitors because they own a very classic looking, historic building in a highly visible location. Their interim is bi-vocational, a college professor, and as far as I know, is not licensed or ordained.
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Baptists who are moving to the UCC

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 am

Any denomination in small towns are likely to have trouble finding full time clergy as few part time clergy have seminary training. It is just too costly to do the schooling and then take a part time church.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum