[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Flick has been spotted east of the Mississippi.

Flick has been spotted east of the Mississippi.

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Flick has been spotted east of the Mississippi.

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm

I had lunch with David Flick today at the Golden Corral in Newport News, Va. According to the pictures on his phone, in the past week, he has spent the night with Ole Dad, in Mouth of Wilson, and eaten breakfast with E.T., in Memphis. I haven't seen David in many years. It was good to see him looking so well.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Flick has been spotted east of the Mississippi.

Postby William Thornton » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Maybe he will take a southern swing.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ET » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Yep, Flick and I had a good time at Cracker Barrel here in Mempho.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:42 am

Wish I could have joined you all in Newport News, but I had an appointment in NC that day.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:21 am

Our lunch was "spur-of-the-moment". David called my home about 10am; said he was in Virginia Beach visiting his son; David wanted to do the tourist thing and visit Jamestown. I happen to be on the route from Va Beach to Jamestown so I suggested a place to meet for lunch (close to I-64). We met at noon and got to spend about 1¾ hours together. Flick and I are within a couple months of the same age, but I forget who is the elder.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby ET » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 am

ET

Postby David Flick » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 am

Super David. You look well.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:09 am

That is quite a travelogue. Hope the next trip brings you through here.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby James » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:40 am

I'm not familiar with the Logo either, but in my experience of driving around photographing churches, Appalachian churches of the Baptist persuasion topped by a cross on the steeple are usually Free Will Baptist.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Bruce Gourley » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am

David, I am so glad you were able to make the cross country trip! You are looking good, and sounding good. :)
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby ET » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 am

Love that tombstone, David! Sad thing is that since such markers have fallen out of favor for flat ones, visiting a cemetary in the future won't be nearly as interesting as it is to view ones 100+ years ago.

Wish I could have made that trip to Jamestown with you! I haven't been there since my early teens, I guess. My paternal grandparents often led the family on summer vacations, and being schoolteachers, it was an unspoken rule that there would be some type of educational day where we visited something, often of an historical nature.

Glad to hear you've made it safely home.
ET

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:06 am

David, that is quite an interesting story. I am not the only one on these boards who may remember the buildings in your addendum. Photo 3 was the only one I recolonized immediately, it is the Alumni chapel at SBTS. Photo 2 is Norton hall which faces Lexington Rd., but that head on view is not what one typically sees. Photo 2 Is apparently a Mohler memorial that did not exist when either Trudy or I where there. I think it may be part of new conference center that was created by joining two refurbished Student apartment buildings (Rice and Judson) across Godfrey ave. from where Wayne Ward lived.

The west wing of Norton is Broadus Hall. BTW, Did you see the Boyce Library, the Honycutt Center, and Fuller hall Married Student Apartments, or the 5 connected dorms, Mullins Hall - Manly - Sampey - Whitsit - Williams? The building attached to the Alumni chapel would have been of interest to your son as it houses the V.V. Cook School of Music.

When I was there there in the 60's I lived off Campus, when I went back in 90, I lived in Manly Hall when Trudy and I married we lived in Fuller until we inherited a house full of furniture and we moved into the Springdale apartments where we had two bedrooms a dinning area, a galley Kitchen and a study. Truly the "study" was a large windowless walk-in-closet .

Trudy's Graduation in 98 was in the Alumni Chapel, when Bruce Gourley and I graduated in 92, our class was too large for the chapel and our graduation was at the Louisville convention Center downtown. The note from James reminded me to go back and look at your picture of the Alumni Chapel. Although it looks like a cross the spire is topped with a weather vane not a cross. However the one James mentions is certainly and I believe appropriately a cross.

I also found it interesting that your G-g-g-great grandfather, Christopher Flick Jr., was born 4 years after the Burnthills Baptist Church was organized.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am

Be nice if you could be spotted northwest of the Columbia some day.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Send him back to Oklahoma

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:13 pm

Just kiddin. Looks like he had quite ad adventure.

Can this kid whup the wrestler grandson?
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby David Flick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:56 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 am

I guess Hal has been tracking me doing interim work. First I was in Hampton for a year and a half. Now I am in Roanoke, but we still live in the same place. It just takes a lot more commuting.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:13 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 am

David,

Great to read about your trip and view the interesting photos! I tried to look up the logo on the Baptist church in question but I couldn't find one to match it.

One of my few regrets in changing church families is that it is pretty unlikely I'll run into any of you here on BL.com since I'm never at a Baptist meeting anymore. Sioux City is pretty far off the beaten path too unless you are heading for the Dakotas.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum