[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Seafair wooden hydro pull record to be made today

Seafair wooden hydro pull record to be made today

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Seafair wooden hydro pull record to be made today

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 am

Attachments
01-GregDillBikehydro.jpg
From a suburban blog...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Seafair wooden hydro pull record to be made today

Postby David Flick » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:33 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:45 am

Ed: David, I agree that the fellow in the white t-shirt certainly Looks like Hauro but perhaps taller. Could be the camera angle.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks, you guys. I agree that that guy kind of looks like me, but I very much doubt it is I. For three things, I hardly ever have attended the Torchlight Parade, and have never jumped out in the middle of one, and don't recall seeing kids pulling hydros in the parade.

Seafair is Seattle's summer festival, which starts in mid-June and runs into early August. The last week, Seafair Week, contains the two main events, the Torchlight Parade through downtown Seattle and the hydroplane races on Lake Washington.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:59 am

Great article Haruo! I've never heard of this sport. It is always interesting to hear about the culture in another part of the country.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:57 pm

About an hour and a half south towards Louisville. I don't think I've ever been to Madison. We were so much closer to Indianapolis that we seldom drove that direction.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:48 am

Yeah, Madison, Indiana, is probably the only place in the country where the unlimited hydros are more deeply ingrained than in Seattle. It's a heavily northwestern thing; look at the 2014 schedule, which is a lot like the schedules they used to run when I was a kid, except I'm pretty sure there wasn't a race in Qatar in those days!
2014 hydro schedule.jpg
Out of seven races, two are in Washington State and one in Idaho.

Kind of like the Green Bay Packers; socialized supersports.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:04 am

Madison is about 51 mi SE of Lawrenceburg where I managed the Employment Service office, in the late 70's, it is about 10 miles less by river. For the uninitiated If you ever go to a Hydro plane reace stop by a hardware and pickup earplugs for every one in your party. Those thing are even more noisier than INDY Cars.

And then on down river in Evansville Indiana the big event is Thunder on the Ohio a hydroplane boat race in the H1 Unlimited season.

But Haruo did the Pull set a record ?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:36 am

I read that it did, with 67 (I think) bicyclists and their hydros participating, but when I've looked for the story online I haven't found it.

Ah, here it is... but it looks like a large percentage of the 67 were walking, which was certainly not any way to tow a wooden hydroplane in my first childhood!

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Mrs Haruo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Now that looks like fun. Reminds me of Cub Scout Pinewood derby races, or Rain gutter Regatta, like we did at a Vacation Bible School where somebody rigged up parallel pieces of rain gutter about 12 feet long, and capped off the ends, and kids built little sail boats and raced them by blowing into the sails. :D
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum