[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - New Ministry Opportunity

New Ministry Opportunity

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

New Ministry Opportunity

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 pm

It was settled yesterday that I will begin June 22nd serving as interim pastor for Calvary Baptist Church in Roanoke, VA. It is a church where I visited with an uncle and aunt who were active there for half a century. It is also a church with which I interviewed for an associate position in my last year in seminary. I look forward to the opportunity to serve with this downtown urban church with a great history and many challenges. Thank you in advance for your prayers as I share in this opportunity.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: New Ministry Opportunity

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 pm

May God grant you and this church much mutual encouragement and joy.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 am

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences at this position. Will keep you in my prayers.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:13 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby ET » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:23 am

Congrats, Dave. My in-laws live in Roanoke....we'll be up there over the 4th of July weekend....be heading back on Sat afternoon, so I won't be able to stay for Sunday preachin' . :D
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:53 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:54 am

Congratulations!

I didn't realize that Roanoke warranted a description of "inner city, urban." That's the kind of church ministry that's always had an appeal to me.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:41 am

Congratulations. My on-line judgment is that you would be very good in that role.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby James » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Dave, it seems to me that you have had some recent experience with just that kind of church. We are meeting our challenges one by one and moving forward in the faith that God is not done with us yet. More than anything else you gave us hope for the future. May God grant you blessings to do the same for Calvary Baptist.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Sandy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:48 pm

How long have they been without a pastor, Dave? Took a look at their website and see that they're coming off of a period with a supply preacher. It's hard to tell by looking at a website, but the bulletin seems to indicate some active ministry. I look forward to hear how things are going.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:30 am

On outdated church websites--- I think a lot of churches are overlooking an important form of outreach in this day and age-- an attractive easy to navigate website that is kept regularly updated. Since we moved a few years ago I have looked at more church websites trying to get a flavor of what the many local churches have to offer in ministries that may or not meet my needs or interests at the present time, basically get an idea of where I might fit in. Some are great, others not so. Many vague about theology or denominational affiliation. With chronic health problems that make any situation where I am stuck in a noisy crowd stressful and draining, I like to have some idea of what kind of worship style I am getting into before I find myself getting overtired in a church that isn't a good fit for me in the first place.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:36 am

I'm celebrating having shared a great first day on Sunday, June 22nd, with the folks at Calvary Baptist in Roanoke, VA. They were so welcoming and supportive as we began the day together. The elevator in the building had been hit by lightning, but a 97-year-old insisted on climbing the steps to the sanctuary. A small group who could not climb steps listened from the downstairs parlor. The music was excellent, and they were kind about the preaching.

Sunday night, we had gospel artist Gordon Mote in concert (not traditional music for the congregation, but something several had wanted. It was nice to share. Then they topped the day off with cobbler and ice cream. What better ending could you have?

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 am

Sounds like a great experience Dave!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Gourley » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 pm

It does indeed sound like you and Calvary had a wonderful Lord's Day.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Nothing like a good old fashioned bowl of fruit cobbler to help get acquainted :D
Mrs Haruo

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:13 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum