[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Free from drugs

Free from drugs

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Free from drugs

Postby James » Sun May 25, 2014 8:20 am

Some of you know that I have suffered from moderate to severe chronic pain since my early 20s. I'm 71 now. That's a long time.

About 10 years ago my doctor put me on vicodin. It was a miracle. One pill a day than two than 3. Then 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the evening.
I was never addicted or abusive, but the longer I was on the drug the more subtle the effects became. I could still function- sort of, but I was hung over all the time.

Wednesday, I got a cortisone shot for my back pain. 3 pills, 2 pills, 2 pills. NO PILL!

I am virtually pain free with no hangover.

If I offended anyone on these boards because of what I wrote in a vicodin fog, I apologize. If I offended anyone for basic ill manners or stupidity, I also apologize, but I will accept the blame on that one.

May we all take pause this memorial day to remember....
Last edited by James on Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Re: Free from drugs

Postby Haruo » Sun May 25, 2014 9:06 am

Neither you nor the vicodin ever offended me, James, and I never saw you post anything that looked drug-induced or -affected, but I am very very happy to hear that you have been able to find an alternative that works for (in the sense of against) your pain.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon May 26, 2014 9:31 am

WONDERFUL! So glad it's working.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon May 26, 2014 3:10 pm

James, I too have had chronic pain issues since an accident before I was 20. Compound that with an active life of falling out of trees, crash landing my bicycle and assorted auto accidents and you have a lot of days when I use a lot of mumbled cuss words to make it through the day. That and hot packs, cold packs and a drawer full of Ace bandages in amounts that are pretty impressive for someone who never played football.
A cousin cut his Achilles tendon while clearing brush with a scythe, and got into a spiral of prescription pain killer addiction in the years of surgery, therapy, and botched back surgery after the leg was mended. He has had to change pain killers over the years as his body built up a resistance (tolerance?) to each one. I on the other hand was raised by parents who mistrusted the AMA and treated injuries as much as possible at home with fresh air and good food and "clean living" as Dad put it. You are among friends here. :D 8) :wink:
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby James » Fri May 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Day 3 with no Vicodin at all. Life is good.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Mrs Haruo » Sat May 31, 2014 7:31 pm

:thumb: Glad to hear you are feeling so much better!
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Haruo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:29 am

:thumb: likewise
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 pm

\ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: CRASH! :brick:
James is off the vicodin, now I am on it. Had a spectacular crash into a folding conference table while setting up for church yesterday. Should have sat quietly in the corner knitting like a nice little old lady. I felt like a sledge hammer hand been thrown into my side as I landed on my knees and my ribs. I hoped sitting quietly with an ice pack on my back and another on my knee would put things right, but by the time the church service was over (Joint Nichigo and English service with communion!! Joint service with Japanese and English speaking congregations and singing in both languages) and I met with the worship committee after the coffee hour. On my way down the street to catch a bus toward home I started feeling much worse, so I stopped at the VA hospital emergency ward on the way home and got checked out. No major damage- I just feel like it with heavy bruising to one knee and caution to keep breathing deep even tho it HURTS.
Mrs Haruo

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum