[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Romans 1 & 2

Romans 1 & 2

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Romans 1 & 2

Postby KeithE » Sun May 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Came across which has an interesting grammatical take on Pauls’ view of homosexuality and those who stand in harsh judgment against sin in general. Read it all, but the take away is that Romans 1:18-32 is a list of sins that “they” (Gentiles w/o the law) do and Romans 2:1 changes to a vocative voice speaking to “you” (Paul’s intended audience). Taken in that light, the main Pauline message is to not judge others. Yeah there are lot of other sins that many Gentiles are guilty of (homosexuality being one of many), but that is an aside to Paul’s main teaching which is to not judge others. Read Romans 1:18-23, 2:1, and 2:12-16 carefully.

Personally I take the law written on my heart more than contemporary do’s and don’ts or any written attempt at ethical instruction(s). And I take very seriously Jesus condemnation of Pharisaic ethical judgmentalism and Romans 2:1.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Romans 1 & 2

Postby William Thornton » Mon May 05, 2014 5:59 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 am

Ed: One thing worse than a Fundamentalist is a former Fundamentalist. Anyone here know any thing about this , former journalist, former Fundamentalist, now member of the UCC, working on a Ph.D. somewhere, Don Burrows?

And who is Calvin Porter?

I find it interesting that the argument presented is based on Pauls writing in Greek in Romans but the illustration for the story is of a papyrus with Hebrew writing. :?
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Mon May 05, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Mon May 05, 2014 8:03 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon May 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Since Keith "cannot believe that God gives up on anyone" he welcomes any possible method of avoiding the plain meaning of the passage. Perhaps the problem is found in coming to a passage already believing what it cannot say.

If there is a hell, I don't recall if Keith so believes, then it is impossible to anchor ones view of God on the idea that God's nature means he will never give up on fallen humanity.

I might go ahead and say that the words of Scripture take precedence over whatever Keith concludes is the law written on his heart.

Most commentators would not land where the PhD candidate does in his interpretation. Nice try, though. It seems obvious that the point is to get a cheap 'gotcha' with those who accept the traditional interpretation of R1.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Mon May 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Lou

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Keith writes: "And Ed can ask for help in downplaying Don Burrows and Calvin Porter if that is what he wants to do; but I’ll not help in that endeavor."

Ed: Where am I down playing Burrows or Potter? I simply do not know who they are or any thing of their expertise. And given you response it appears that you don't know mush about them either.
Ed Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Mon May 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon May 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 am

I enlarged the image 300% and still can't tell for sure which alphabet it's in (let alone what language), but -- unless the image has been flipped horizontally -- the lines begin on the left and end on the right (i.e. right margin is more ragged) which argues for Greek. Ed, what makes you think it's Hebrew? I see letters which individually look like here Hebrew (lamed; yodh) and there Greek (lambda; theta). If I had run into this image in isolation, and had been asked to guess its language, I'd have said Coptic.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 06, 2014 5:40 am

The caption reads, "Photo: Papyrus codex of the Pauline Epistles, Chester Beatty Library"

It is clearly Greek; however, since my mod lib friends are non-inerrantists for whom anything reaching to the nonextant autographs is irrelevant, it matters little if the source is Greek, Hebrew. Aramaic, Ugaritic, or Ebonic.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue May 06, 2014 9:58 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue May 06, 2014 9:59 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:48 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 06, 2014 12:53 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue May 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Google "Chester Beatty papyrus" check the images and you will see the same photo. Enlarge it. It's koine greek. The caption was in the article linked.

I'll not attempt to explain everything to you Ed.
William Thornton
Site Admin

How long will God Tarry over the state of the Tea Party

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 06, 2014 4:23 pm

In Georgia before he throws in the towel and says Depart From Me, I never Knew you!

Charles Marsh has a new bio of Bonhoeffer

and Molly Worthen's book with a chapter on the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC go begging for Thornton's attention, even his blog. I hope, I pray he reads both soon.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue May 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Back to the topic and ignore Fox's plea for attention.
Ed Pettibone

Re: How long will God Tarry over the state of the Tea Party

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 pm

:thumb: for William
Ed Pettibone

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum