My hymnal collection

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: My hymnal collection

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Hymns with opening lines like

Ye Servants of the Lord, each in his office wait

or

Come, my soul, thy suit prepare

or of course

Before the awful throne of God

are not rarities when you have a collection like mine, but they are good for mental imagery that gets one chuckling.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:47 pm

I've collected a few more hymnals/hymn books in the past couple of months:

• Hymns of Grace (Second Edition): a choice collection of Hymns honoring and promoting the Reigning Grace of God by Mildred Simms, et al., 2003
  • Little Book of Favorite Hymns, Designed as a Supplement for the Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book by John R. Daily by Primitive Baptist Library, 1993
  • Old Line Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book, for All Lovers of Truth in Sacred Song by Jason R. Fruit, 2016
  • Old Regular Baptist Songbook, 2015-16 Edition: Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord by John M. Elkins, 2016
  • Our Favorites Songs by Primitive Quartet Music Company, 1982 (I wanted this in general, but mainly to get this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtoBf8_4z5c)
  • Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book: a Collection of Sacred Hymns and Tunes Arranged to Suit all Occasions of Public or Private Worship by John Riley Daily, 1918 (1980 printing)
  • The Pilgrim's Hymnal: a Book of Choice Songs for the Home and All the Services of the Churches by William Harlan Crouse (1964 edition; Crouse was a Progressive Primitive Baptist)
I also broke down and bought an on-demand reprint of The Cluster of Spiritual Songs, Divine Hymns, and Sacred Poems: Being Chiefly a Collection by Jesse Mercer. Not my first or favorite choice, but I haven't been able to come up with one any other way.

I was able to make contact with the compiler of Old Time Singing -- Elder Scott Hamilton, an Old Regular Baptist -- but unfortunately discovered the book is out of print and he has no more copies available.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:49 pm

A couple days ago I received a copy of a new (2017) hymnal, put out by Religious Affections Ministries in Fort Worth. The editor, Scott Aniol, is a professor at SWBTS. It is not my favorite recent hymnal; it is the most determinedly conservative hymnal I've seen in a long time, and the amount and quality of the really new material is small, but that said, it does contain, here and there, items I have never seen before both new and old, some of which are worth the discovery. I'll be posting a detailed review on my blog sometime soon. If you would like to look at the contents, virtually all the songs are available in PDF, in both full-page and half-page versions, at http://religiousaffections.org/hymns/.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm

We're not in the market for a new church hymnal, but I like the online resource of free, downloadable hymns. I suggested to Scott the possibility of some in shape notes, but that went over like a lead balloon! :lol:
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:39 am

At the social after yesterday's All-Day Christmas Harp Singing (4th Annual), Marla Elliott and I pulled out a bunch of tunebooks and whatnot to show each other and the onlookers. I was lucky enough to borrow a Daily book (Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book by Elder John Daily) from her (since I can't locate mine), which enabled me to post a mock-up of the text Daily has for ANGEL BAND ("There is a land, a happy land") today.

Lunch yesterday looked like this (with the addition of coffee, wasabi peas, wild rice sesame sticks, two more kinds of deviled eggs, and mochigashi): https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26114221_10215334272415913_1266595352463458951_n.jpg?oh=d6e63b36a2f5da78e44b0e2f061f2bba&oe=5AB0A513
Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum