Fox news seeks Christian privilege

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Fox news seeks Christian privilege

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Fox news seeks Christian privilege

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:53 am

This link has nothing to do with the SBC, and should not be posted in this category. I believe a moderator needs to move it to a more appropriate place, such as the Politics thread.
Sandy
Sandy

SBC and Fox News embedded

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:09 am

The Moderator can do what he wants to do but you need go no further than Richard Land, Trey Gowdy, James Lankford or Texas Gohmert from Tyler same place as Fireside Chat's Recon buddy of Pressler who teamed up on Moyers to see how embedded Fox News and the Tea Party are with the leadership of the SBC. It aint rocket science, my friend

Stephen Fox

Re: SBC and Fox News embedded

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:The Moderator can do what he wants to do but you need go no further than Richard Land, Trey Gowdy, James Lankford or Texas Gohmert from Tyler same place as Fireside Chat's Recon buddy of Pressler who teamed up on Moyers to see how embedded Fox News and the Tea Party are with the leadership of the SBC. It aint rocket science, my friend

No, that's for sure. It's your paranoid imagination.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Ed: And Sandy what are your qualifications by which you diagnose S. Fox's comments as "paranoid" imaginations?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:Ed: And Sandy what are your qualifications by which you diagnose S. Fox's comments as "paranoid" imaginations?

Apparently, like most of the other people on the board, you don't really read much of what he posts. He never ventures very far from the same conspiracy theories and guilt by association rhetoric. It goes into virtually every post on virtually every thread, regardless of the topic or how it relates. The definition of the term is a thought process or pattern that is influenced by a high level of anxiety, to the point of delusion and irrationality. Suggesting that groups of people get together and have dialogue or read books fits the definition of both.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:29 am

Sandy wrote:
Ed Pettibone wrote:Ed: And Sandy what are your qualifications by which you diagnose S. Fox's comments as "paranoid" imaginations?

Apparently, like most of the other people on the board, you don't really read much of what he posts. He never ventures very far from the same conspiracy theories and guilt by association rhetoric. It goes into virtually every post on virtually every thread, regardless of the topic or how it relates. The definition of the term is a thought process or pattern that is influenced by a high level of anxiety, to the point of delusion and irrationality. Suggesting that groups of people get together and have dialogue or read books fits the definition of both.

Ed: Careful Sandy, answering a straight forward question about your own qualifications with a list of ailments you believe pertain to another, may be seen as an irrational avoidance technique. :wink:
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:57 am

Oh dear. I think it's quite a fine idea for groups of people to get together and have dialogue or read books. Oh dear.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Interesting, Fox...the opening line of the article is:
Unless you have been completely unplugged from all forms of media for the last week, you’ve probably seen—or at least have heard or read about—the interview that religion scholar, Reza Aslan, gave on the FoxNews.com webcast

Well, I wasn't unplugged from all forms of media during that time, but I haven't seen anything on this fuss on the numerous news sites I visit....USAToday, Fox News, UK Daily Mail (better than some U.S. news sites, but very cluttered and bloated), Yahoo news to name a few.

In response, I find this commentary by Brent Bozell on the subject: Fox Versus the Islam-Boosting 'Mainstream'
A few items of note from the commentary:
  • Green's first question? "This is an interesting book. Now, I want to clarify: You are a Muslim, so why did you write a book about the founder of Christianity?"...That's hardly a ridiculous question. It is actually the necessary first question. I have written a book charging that the liberal press stole the 2012 election. Were I to appear on CNN, would it not be correct to establish from the start that I am a conservative?...But liberals sniffed "bigotry" in Green's open-ended question (which she asked several times and couldn't get a straight answer). They sensed she was saying Aslan and Muslims should somehow be banned from writing about Christianity.
  • After an interview on NPR's "Weekend Edition", NPR issues a correction to one of this guy's claims: "Our guest incorrectly says the first Gospel, the Gospel of Mark, contains no statement of messianic identity from Jesus. In fact, in Mark 14:62, Jesus responds affirmatively when asked if he is the Son of God."
  • Apparently Aslan claimed to have a PhD in the history of religions. According to Bozell, his PhD is actually in sociology.
  • "No one mocking Fox and Green gave them any credit for extending an interview to Aslan in the first place. And no one acknowledged the sad fact that Green is the only religion correspondent at a national TV news network. The boob-tube "news" crews don't darken church doors and feel no need to have any expertise in any religion's sacred texts or theology. "
I can't tell you the number of times I've heard someone interviewing a writer and ask them "why did you write on this subject?" That's a pretty standard question and asked regularly. Then there's the issue that NPR had to issue a correction for one of this guy's claims. Then there's the issue of his credentials.

I think Bozell's opening paragraph is dead-on:
They may find it scandalous for someone to say so, but our secular liberal media are playing favorites with religion. They have a spoiled child, Islam. Journalists see Islam as a bullied, minority faith for brown people. Draw a cartoon of Mohammed with dynamite on his head, and you are the worst kind of trouble-making hater.

Unfortunately, almost none of the media in this country treat Christianity with anywhere near the respect that they do Islam. Or the other hand, drop a cross into a jar of urine and they'll champion you as a great "artist" or showing the courage to challenge the culture. :( However, don't you dare question anything or ask anything that someone, somewhere might perceive to be "slanderous" or disparaging to Islam. You're just a bigot if you do.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Fundamentalism

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 pm

I think the media has trouble with fundamentalism whether it is Pressler and Helms brand of fundamentalism or the Salafists in Muslim countries.

I have trouble with the brand of Christianity the Alabama Speaker of the House Mike Hubbard practices and his connection to the Auburn Network.

And I have trouble with the mendacity in which the religious right has embedded itself with the Tea Party on many wedge issues. And I think Trey Gowdy and FBC Spartanburg need examination.

I hope the media gets to work on those so called "Christians"

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Haruo wrote:Oh dear. I think it's quite a fine idea for groups of people to get together and have dialogue or read books. Oh dear.

I do, too. But Stephen's suggestions and what you and I would consider a fine idea are two different things.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Sandy wrote:
Haruo wrote:Oh dear. I think it's quite a fine idea for groups of people to get together and have dialogue or read books. Oh dear.

I do, too. But Stephen's suggestions and what you and I would consider a fine idea are two different things.

Ed: You are probably at least half right right Sandy, but I think Hauro would hold his own in such groups.
Ed Pettibone

I'm wiser than both

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Ed and Sandy, but would be honored to be in a reading group with Haruo. Just last week a fellow with an earned Doctorate from Baylor quoted another man who travels in influential circles to wit Stephen Fox is one of the most well read men he knows and is able to process a wide range of thought among the best.

And he was not alone last week. So Sandy be as ignorant as he wants to be, I can't stop him. I made booklist for him and the staff at FBC Sburg and he mocked it. Ignorance is bliss. Happy for him

Stephen Fox

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 am

I think it's about time Al Mohler read La Infana Raso and discussed it with me. I'm ready and waiting. And if his excuse is that he can't read Esperanto, it's also available in Portuguese and Dutch, one of which he surely knows.

That said, I still haven't watched the interview in question, and thus have no opinion as to whether Fox's religion reporter was being reasonable in repeatedly asking that question.

I think Fox is going out on a limb in identifying Mark as "the first gospel", and then sawing through part of said limb in equating "messianic" and "the Son of God".
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 pm

ET wrote:Unfortunately, almost none of the media in this country treat Christianity with anywhere near the respect that they do Islam. Or the other hand, drop a cross into a jar of urine and they'll champion you as a great "artist" or showing the courage to challenge the culture. :( However, don't you dare question anything or ask anything that someone, somewhere might perceive to be "slanderous" or disparaging to Islam. You're just a bigot if you do.

I agree that the American media in general treat Christianity with disrespect. But I disagree with your contention about Islam. The major networks, and some of the cable news outlets have been particularly harsh with the supporters of President Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. The Palestinians are convinced that the American media is owned and controlled by Jewish interests. Al Qaeda uses media clips of mainstream American media reports as recruiting tools to motivate followers and raise money. I've seen some especially mocking pieces on MSNBC. Journalists in this country, for the most part, are the product of our most secular educational institutions and for the most part they have no respect for anyone who holds a religious worldview, regardless of the religion. They are trained that way.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby ET » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Sandy wrote:Journalists in this country, for the most part, are the product of our most secular educational institutions and for the most part they have no respect for anyone who holds a religious worldview, regardless of the religion. They are trained that way.

Agreed.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum