[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - New novel--Remembering Miss Addie--coming soon

New novel--Remembering Miss Addie--coming soon

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: New novel--Remembering Miss Addie--coming soon

Postby David Flick » Tue May 28, 2013 1:14 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Tue May 28, 2013 5:51 am

Remembering Miss Addie will be available at Nurturing Faith's display at CBF in Greensboro.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Haruo » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

Attachments
0whaticon2.JPG
0whaticon2.JPG (12.3 KiB) Viewed 5443 times
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Good news about Greensboro

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 28, 2013 8:55 pm

If somehone had been thinking ahead you coulda had an ad in the June Baps Today and announced an autograph party at the Nurturing Faith booth. OTOH I haven't seen June issue yet, and a signing may be in the works in Greensboro. Proud of you.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 am

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make the trip to Greensboro short of some unforeseen miracle.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Received the cover artwork with brief synopsis of the book on back cover, making some minor changes, will have the cover up for you to see in a few days.
Lamar Wadsworth

Postby David Flick » Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 am

So if I could just find a prior posting of the praying hands, I could steal it* and post it for everyone's use.

* "steal it" is probably how Photobucket would technically view my action.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Here is the image that is my first choice for the cover of Remembering Miss Addie. Entirely an in-house effort with friends from Heritage Baptist Church. Photographer Charles Smith is a retired pharmacist and amateur photographer. The model is 18 year old Madison Friedrich, who really got into it and became Cassie McWhorter, the 19 year old preacher who is the main character in the novel. The photo was taken at Stilesboro Academy, built in 1859. So many things I like about this picture: the towering 10' tall doors and the borrowed too-long pulpit stole serve as metaphors for the challenges that Cassie faces in the novel as she helps conduct the funeral of her 101-year-old best friend Miss Addie and finds herself called to be pastor of Peyton's Chapel Baptist Church where Miss Addie and all of her folks are buried. The gold cross necklace--given to Miss Addie by her parents when she was baptized in 1908, which Miss Addie gives to Cassie on the Sunday she is baptized, along with the well-worn old Bible (we used my grandfather Bailey's Bible) serve as symbols of the spiritual heritage Cassie has received from Miss Addie. Madison's facial expression captures Cassie's serious contemplation of the challenges she faces and her confidence that "the One who never called me by my sister's name" will be with her.
Attachments
First_choice_cover_image.jpg
Lamar Wadsworth

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Our copy just arrived. Mrs H is having the first go at it, occasionally interrupting my day to read me a delightful snippet. Lamar, you really are a gifted writer.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Haruo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 am

I have been out of town for a week and didn't get a chance to comment on "Remembering Miss Addie" before I left. I really enjoyed it. There were lots of interesting people in the book, believable people with all their quirks and flaws included. It was hard to put down, because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Keep writing!
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Glad you enjoyed Remembering Miss Addie. I appreciate what you said about how real the characters seemed to you. These people and places are very real in my mind, and I feel very much like an observer and reporter, just writing down what happens and what these people say and do. I had fun bringing a few real people to Harrington to interact with my characters. I knew how much my friend Ruby Welsh Wilkins would have enjoyed helping ordain a young minister like Cassie. Lo and behold, one of my minor characters, Rhonda, volunteered to drive over to Wadley AL and bring her to Harrington for the occasion. I didn't plan to write the characters of Marcie and Connie. They just showed up because they are the kind of people who show up when somebody needs help. These people are after me to write more. They were talking about that before Sunday School and after church at Peyton's Chapel this past Sunday.
Lamar Wadsworth

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Though driven away a while back for merely disagreeing about a few things, I drop by occasionally to see who's preaching (mostly to the choir) on what subject and find interesting but not surprising stuff. Since a book is the subject of this thread, I thought I'd mention that I'm now up to 17 (I think) since starting them as I turned 70. One that might be of interest currently, a novel, is entitled The Biggest Con. In any case, the entire collection is found here: http://www.clarkscorner.org/. I hope everyone is having a productive summer.
Jim

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Ed: Jim it is good to hear from you. I think I will order your A LAYMAN'S THEOLOGY when my accountant lets me know which account to use. :wink:

I have often appreciated your poetry, hopefully the Theology will be as interesting.
Ed Pettibone

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum