Every 14 minutes...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Every 14 minutes...

Postby James » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm

someone in this country commits suicide.

http://www.usatoday.com/opinion/

This according to the CDC. 1,000,000 per try to commit suicide and 2,000,000 think about it. Suicide is up worldwide. The human race "is losing its will to live." That last quote is opinion and we may think all this is overhyped, but the author of the piece, Rebecca D. Costa links this lack of will to mass murderers of every race and creed in every nation on earth.

The article is worth reading. Many of you have read the capsule version of my own story. My own experience as one who tried/thought about it and as a Contact USA crisis councellor for over 25 years obviously colors my views on the topic, but what was somewhat rarer or at least out of the mainstream news in my day seems to be epidemic now. The depressed people of the world seem to be turning at an ever increasing rate toward what we called "a permenant solution to a temporary problem." But now we are hearing that the depressed and repressed people around us seeing depression and victimization as a permenant problem for which there is a final solution.

Please make your congregations aware that there are alternatives to hopeless self distruction.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum