Trump's revenge from the facebook wall of Bruce Gourley

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Trump's revenge from the facebook wall of Bruce Gourley

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:21 pm

https://www.progressivesoutherntheologi ... hpcoymBcCg

Trump's revenge and the resentment of southern Baptists and other fundamentalist evangelicals in cultural captivity

Please leave this post where I placed it in Faith and Practice
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Trump's revenge from the facebook wall of Bruce Gourley

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:https://www.progressivesoutherntheologians.com/news/2020/2/9/revenge-is-sweet?fbclid=IwAR25lDqfy9N43rbsmytJx559MoCeiKsXUFQKBDQ74M_cFTooyhpcoymBcCg

Trump's revenge and the resentment of southern Baptists and other fundamentalist evangelicals in cultural captivity

Please leave this post where I placed it in Faith and Practice

Excellent. Worth the time to read it.
Sandy
Sandy

Re: Trump's revenge from the facebook wall of Bruce Gourley

Postby KeithE » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:17 am

Good article for sure. Some excerpts:

From theologians to cultural and political scientists, many individuals have put forth theories to explain both Trump’s high approval rating among his base and his party’s defense of his impeachable actions. The best of this work points out that there are many motivating factors for Trump followers and that no single explanatory factor (e.g., economic insecurity, racism, etc.) can cover all of the members of his base. For instance, a wealthy business owner may be interested in lower corporate tax rates, while a conservative suburban evangelical mom might be moved by a desire to curb other women’s access to abortion. Others may be motivated by a fear of Muslims, and still others may be desirous to close our Southern borders. Combinations of these and other factors can operate at the same time, while certain ones may be missing altogether for a particular individual.

Trump’s “base” is multi-motivated.

Author says many Christians are also motivated by “revenge”. For what? he offers:

Nevertheless, for what misdeeds or developments are conservative Christians seeking revenge? While the folks in Trump’s base are not all incensed by the same issues, they would all be influenced by at least some of the following matters. Regarding what they perceive as religious issues, there are: a) Roe v. Wade and abortion, b) the fictional war on Christmas, c) taking prayer out of public schools, d) the teaching of evolution, e) the teaching of anything other than abstinence only sex education, and f) the increased normalization of LGBTQ+ orientations in popular culture and through civil rights efforts.

Additionally, there are less explicitly religious developments over the last twelve years that further incense and infuriate many conservative white Christians: a) the election of a Black president, b) the election of a Black president who might secretly be Muslim, c) the election of a Black president who might secretly be Muslim and who, at the same time, attended a church where the pastor suggested that God should **** America, d) the emergence of the Black Lives Matter movement, e) the demonization of police officers (the patron saints of law and order), and f) the increasing volume of call-out culture on social media.

Don’t know that I would call that “revenge”; I'd call it a strong aversion to certain social trends in paragraph 1 above (paragraph 2 being important to white nationalists - about 5% of America)

Is Trump support, then, rooted in racism? Yes. Is it tied to economic insecurity? Yes. Is it a response to lies told about Muslims and Hispanic immigrants (and thus more racism)? Yes. Is it also tied to the empowered voices and prophets on the left who call out dehumanizing behavior? Yes. And there’s the rub. Liberals far too easily underestimate the amount of anger and self-consciousness and guilt and projection that this new social media behavior generates in our opposition. When Trump steps in and vocalizes the anger and disgrace that they feel, promising to deliver vengeance, he channels the all-too-human desire to retaliate against those that they take to be their enemies.

{underlining mine} - very true.

Concluding paragraph:
Thus, Trump’s behavior may be unsavory. It may be cruel. But it’s also deeply gratifying to many conservative evangelical minds in light of the victimization and disgrace they feel (or have been told) that they’ve had to suffer at the hands of liberals. In this sense, Trump embodies a revenge that is deeply attractive, very much welcomed, and should never be underestimated.

I’d ask those caught in Trumpism (of whatever motivation) to fully face Trump’s unsavory behavior. And to prayerfully review their viewpoints with those of Jesus.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum