My hymnal collection

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: My hymnal collection

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

William Thornton wrote:Golden Gospel Bells, James D. Vaughn, Lawrenceburg, TN
The New Evangel, 1911
Songs of Comfort and Cheer, Richard Maxwell

I'm sitting on a gold mine...or not.

Doubt if it's exactly a gold mine, but if you don't want them, I'll reimburse shipping and handling.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Three more new ones came in yesterday, all recent this time, and two of them words-only.

The one with music is Lift Up Your Hearts , the 2013 jointly published hymnal of the Christian Reformed Church and the Reformed Church in America.

Then there is Ian Bradley's The Book of Hymns , a collection of 150 mostly British, entirely Euro-American (if one counts mediæval Greek and Latin hymns as Euro) hymns, each presented in poetic formata with copious annotations. 2000 edition of a book first published in 1989.

Lastly, and for me probably most interestingly, there's a words-only Scottish Believers Hymn Book , published in 2008 by John Ritchie Ltd in Kilmarnock. Although there's some Watts and a little Wesley in it, a huge proportion of its 400-odd hymns are ones I've never seen before by authors I've never heard of before. Although there's no music, tunes are suggested for most, perhaps all, of the hymns. It has four indexes: Topical (no First Advent or Nativity), Leading Phrases, First Lines of First Stanzas, First Lines of Other Stanzas, and Authors. I don't know if the unusual repertoire is due to some sectarian bias ("Believers" somehow smacks of Plymouth Brethren or something) or editorial whimsy or what. The utter absence of Christmas material is odd. To give you an idea of the unusualness of the song list, here are the first dozen first lines from the index (author's last name, according to the index, in parentheses):

• 7 A debtor to mercy alone (Toplady)
  • 14 A little while our Lord shall come (Deck*)
  • 3 A mind at perfect peace with God (Bonar)
  • 11 A Pilgrim through this lonely world (Denny*)
  • 9 A rock that stands forever (Gerhardt)
  • 2 Abba Father we adore Thee (Hawker [or Hawkes?*?])
  • 1 Abba Father we approach Thee (Deck)
  • 362 Abide in me, my Saviour (Costello)
  • 5 According to Thy gracious Word (Montgomery)
  • 6 Alas and did my Saviour bleed (Watts)
  • 361 All hail the power of Jesus' Name (Peronnet)
  • 364 All the way my Saviour leads me (Crosby)
I completely misunderstood the index of authors, and accused it of being garbled. It was my interpretation that garbled it. Above is the corrected, and I think probably mostly correct, list of authors.

Do the Plymouth Brethren deprecate Christmas? I associate that with JWs, but I see no evidence this is a JW book, though the format is slightly reminiscent of their hymnals. Deck and Denny were Plymouth Brethren. Hawker or Hawkes appears to have been an Anglican convert to Roman Catholicism, hence an unlikely place for the Plymouth Brethren to have found an obscure hymn. However, he was apparently (at least Hawker was) born, and died and was buried, in Plymouth. I found the following other song of his (mentioned by Julian) in an 1857 Baptist hymnal, and am trying to figure out how to fit the LMD text into the 6-line tune prescribed. Image E. Costello appears to be completely unknown except for his authorship of this one hymn, "Abide in me, my Saviour", which is found in several hymnals, not all of any particular denomination.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

I find Believers Hymn Book interesting enough that I went ahead and ordered a copy of the music edition from the publisher in Scotland, not having been able to locate it for sale in the US.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Haruo wrote:Lastly, and for me probably most interestingly, there's a words-only Scottish Believers Hymn Book , published in 2008 by John Ritchie Ltd in Kilmarnock...Christmas material is odd.
You are probably right about the Brethren connection. According to Wikipedia, "The Scottish publisher John Ritchie Ltd. publishes material from authors connected with Gospel Halls" and that the Gospel Hall Assemblies "are a conservative strand of the Open Brethren movement."

Haruo wrote:...am trying to figure out how to fit the LMD text into the 6-line tune prescribed. E. Costello appears to be completely unknown except for his authorship of this one hymn, "Abide in me, my Saviour", which is found in several hymnals, not all of any particular denomination.
I'm confused by the LMD comment, since I don't see any LMD hymn on the page pictured. Thanks.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Good point! I linked the wromg JPEG. Here:
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Don't know how they resolve it, but I would sing two lines to the heavy phrase bar in the upper brace, go back to the beginning and sing two lines, and then finish up the last four lines with the repeat as already incorporated in the song.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Rvaughn wrote:Don't know how they resolve it, but I would sing two lines to the heavy phrase bar in the upper brace, go back to the beginning and sing two lines, and then finish up the last four lines with the repeat as already incorporated in the song.

So, A B A B C D C D, so to speak? That would work, and would probably be the default solution, but I wish they had made it explicit, as they did with the two different-length texts for the tune on p. 427.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Three more today:
  • New Songs of Inspiration Volume Eleven (or Number Eleven) (1994)
  • Moravian Book of Worship (1995)
  • Family Hymn Sing: Getty Kids Hymnal (2018)
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:13 am

Haruo wrote:
  • New Songs of Inspiration Volume Eleven (or Number Eleven) (1994)
We never used New Songs of Inspiration in church, but sang around the piano as a family many times from one of the older editions. That pretty went away after my older sister (the pianist) passed away, but lots of good memories there.
Rvaughn

American Baptist Hymnal / All-American Church Hymnal

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Anybody (Robert Vaughn?) know the relationship between the All-American Church Hymnal, 1957, and the American Baptist Hymnal, 1960? After revisiting this review of the former from 2012, I'm wondering if perhaps the ABH1960 is just a private-label reprint of the AACH1957. I'd also like to know if my guess that with the AACH1957 "edition" means "printing" is correct.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 am

I have wondered whether the American Baptist Hymnal had the All-American Church Hymnal as a sort of base document, and revised and particularized from there. But I don't know that. Seems I remember once comparing them and noticing a lot of similarities, but my memory is faulty sometimes. Possibly interesting, the man who was editor-in-chief of the BSSC when they compiled the ABH married a lady from our community, and retired back to the area. Had I thought to ask him when he was living, I would know the answer to your question.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:04 pm

William Thornton wrote:Golden Gospel Bells, James D. Vaughn, Lawrenceburg, TN
The New Evangel, 1911
Songs of Comfort and Cheer, Richard Maxwell

I'm sitting on a gold mine...or not.

Arrived today. Thanks! What do I owe you?

BTW only one of the three, The New Evangel, is in the Hymnary.org database, which lists over 6,000, mostly American, hymnals and smaller collections. And even for it they were missing a cover scan, which I'm providing now.
NE1911 COVER.jpg

Three other hymnals also came in today, the 1969 Moravian Hymnal, the British 1971 New Catholic Hymnal, and the US Catholic 1996 Ritual Song. Interesting to note that the British one has everything pretty much in four-part harmony, whereas the 25-years-later-across-the-water one has absolutely everything in unison. Chris?
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:50 am

You'll be famous for your rare hymnal collection, Haruo. You don't owe me anything.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum