[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Rewriting hymns

Rewriting hymns

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Rewriting hymns

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 pm

The Hymn Society posted a link to this article: I was reminded of the way Celebrating Grace was forced to drop one of the Getty hymns they had contracted for because they did a little revision, without permission, to make it a little less ... Calvinistic or bloody ... I forget which. At Fremont yesterday, saw our current Offertory Doxology (to OLD HUNDREDTH) was

Praise God from whom all blessings flow;
Whose constant love and grace we know.
Bless now, O Lord, these gifts we give
That others may in your peace live. Amen.

Would Thomas Ken object? The John Newton who wrote "Amazing Grace" didn't live long enough to see the "When we've been there ten thousand years" stanza tacked on the end of it, and several of his verses left out to make room for it.

I prefer "What Child is this?" with the "nails, spear" part intact, not dumbed down into a refrain.

I also tend to prefer more stanzas rather than fewer. "How firm a foundation" should be seven verses. Ditto "O come, O come, Emmanuel". "All creatures of our God and King" should have the death verse. Etc. And I don't insist on it for really long songs, for example I'm happy with five or six stanzas of "O for a thousand tongues to sing", no need to do the whole eighteen...
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Rewriting hymns

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Your preferences and positions?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Not sure offhand which denomination is Celebrating Grace. I remember awhile back one hymn committee wanted to rewrite substitutionary atonement out of one of the stanzas, but Getty and Townend wouldn't give them permission.

In general, I think it is best to not rewrite someone else's hymn without their permission. A sort of "do unto others" based philosophy. As a songwriter I think I've tried to keep my edits to "meter" -- that is, changes to make hymn meter fit tune meter (though at times I've gone a bit farther). Even in doing that with meter, you have to be careful to not upset the apple cart, so to speak. On the other hand, if it is public domain and one is upfront about it being an edited/adapted version, I suppose there may not be too much harm. Without doing some research it is hard to know whether the old hymns have come down to us intact anyway. Lots of little errors, changes, etc. in transmission. Nevertheless, back to the general rule -- less is better than more. Leave them alone as much as possible.

In The Sacred Harp we often use only a stanza or two in order to leave time for other leaders, especially in larger conventions. But in church, I like singing all the stanzas of a hymn. In a good hymn there is usually a progression and a story that is lost somewhat by dropping stanzas.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 pm

But, yes, 18 stanzas might get you kicked out of most churches!
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Ed: Celebrating Grace was publicly introduce at the 2010 CBF assembly. Each attendee was asked to take the copy found on their chair home with them. The Publisher is Celebrating Grace INC., Macon Ga.

My only complaint is the weight. My Arthritic hands rebel.

See; https://hymnary.org/hymnal/CGH2010

for
Indexes
Authors
First Lines
Tune Names
Topics
Scripture References
Meters
Elements of Worship
Page Scans
JE Pettibone

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:10 pm

I think I must have blamed Celebrating Grace for a sin committed by Glory to God. In fact, I'm sure now, because I don't think I ever saw a sampler for Celebrating Grace. Brain flatulence. Sorry all, and especially David Music et al.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Odd for Piper to talk about grace. But then, I think he means something different with the word than I generally do.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Rewriting Crown Him with many Crowns

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 am

Crown Him with Many Crowns is one of the most notable cases of rewriting hymns by writing theologically divergent additional stanzas. Matthew Bridges wrote the hymn, eight stanzas, I think. He was a Roman Catholic, though, or soon to become one, though, and some of his stanzas were objectionable to Protestants. Rev. Godfrey Thring, a couple of decades after Bridges'song came out, wrote a number of stanzas (I think he published a version of the hymn where only v. 1 was by Bridges. Nowadays it's not uncommon for hymnals to include a version of the text where it's mostly by Bridges, but one or, rarely, two of Thring's are mixed in.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm

About 20 years ago, I was asked by a magazine editor to prepare an article on the subject of rewriting hymns in order to remove masculine references or probably violence. I did so but she and I agreed that it would be better not to publish it. In any case, it is found here: .
Jim

Postby James » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:07 pm

My Favorite example of poor rewrites comes from "Eternal Father Strong to Save." Some English editors for one of the dissenter denominations wanted to eliminate archaic language and the strident tone of the final couplet. It came out as "O hear us when we pray to you for those who sale the ocean blue." This does not serve or satisfy
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum