[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pub Theology

Pub Theology

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Pub Theology

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:07 pm

I’m seeing a lot of churches start small groups that meet a pubs, bars or wine bars to study the Bible, worship, or just fellowship. Are Baptist doing this? Or is this limited to groups who have been more open to beverage alcohol?
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Pub Theology

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:23 am

The new Calvinists are into this, suds and theology stuff.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 am

Pretty sure I've seen a Baptist church here in Seattle do this at least once or twice. Probably First BC. Mostly though Lutherans and Episcopalians.

My dad tried to get a Bible study going at the as part of his campus ministry, but boy the churches put the kibosh on that when they heard about it! (Ca. 1965)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:40 pm

I am aware of a couple of Baptist churches doing some version of this in Virginia. Don't know much about how it is or isn't working.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Theology at the Bottleworks, with The Journey Church in St. Louis, which is an SBC-affiliated congregation.

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/fai ... 802e2.html
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby James » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 am

HBC does this. Some of our folks object to this. I told one of our contrarians that Betty (our pastor), who started the group was in good company. The Pharisees complained about Jesus for the same reason.

Betty's little group is growing slowly. The bar has a back room where the group meets. No one has to buy food or drink to come. One or two have joined us for worship on occasion. Most churches of my experience show a shorted time than ours between first visit and walking the isle. I think the longest interval for us was about 15 years. The nominating committee asked him to be a deacon and then discovered he was not a member. He joined in time to make the list.
James

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Ed: Tim,if the owners of the wine bar are in favor, I see nothing wrong with giving it a try. A large percentage of the participants of the Methodist Church Singles ministry where I was introduced to singles ministry, generally adjourned to a nearby tavern after the Sunday evening event at the church.
However I don't think the Singles Minister ever went with us. I have never experienced that in a singles ministry sponsored by a Southern Baptist church. And also none of the ABC churches we have been, have had a Singles ministry, nor was I successful in promoting one.
JE Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Blue Moon is good BBQ in Bama

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 am

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Sandy

Re: Blue Moon is good BBQ in Bama

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Here is the advertising for the start of my church’s small group meeting at a local bistro/wine bar.
Attachments
D5EF9867-E133-4FD7-8DF6-3F9EB21E8211.jpeg
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:05 pm

I've attended Queen Anne Baptist's Pub Theology meetup several times now. (Dec. 6). The young lady at the near right is Rev. Mindi Welton-Mitchell, Queen Anne's pastor. The nearer of the two guys is Rev. Doug Avilesbernal, the Executive Minister of Evergreen. Rev. Paul Schneider is another Evergreen pastor. Anita Peebles is a lay woman from, I think, Seattle First Baptist. It's a semi-monthly event, first and third Thursdays. Originally it was held at T. S. McHugh's, an Irish pub about a block from Seattle Center (the urban park where the Space Needle, Chihuly Museum, Opera House etc. are located) but we had to move because McHugh's suddenly tore out most of their accessible (low) seating and installed a bunch of dart boards, shuffleboards, etc. So now it's at the Queen Anne Beerhall. I'm enjoying it, but I must say there hasn't been a whole lot of theology. Mostly just fellowship. And the Beerhall really does have good calamari, and ginger beer!

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum