[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Thoughts for a horrific day

Thoughts for a horrific day

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Thoughts for a horrific day

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 am

I detest all bumper stickers.

Keith needs a dose of reality also. We can all lament and deplore the Crusades but didn't the Pope already apologize for that? If Sandy is oppressed by vicarious guilt for his Christian predecessors of centuries past perhaps he could make a sensible case for 21st Century Islamic militant terrorism on that basis. Perhaps he could point to where in the world today Christians are the "most aggressive" in religious discrimination and oppression? The Balkans, to the condemnation of us and the world? Perhaps he could point to Christian republics that have capital punishment penalties for conversion.

Hamas is busy hiding rockets in schools and near civilians so as to be able to lob them at random Jewish people, babies, kids, and old folks included. When Israel responds they and their unthinking, bleeding heart, American sympathizers claim some moral superiority. If most of the American population were in bomb shelters because of rockets launched from urban Toronto, I suspect that even Keith would favor action. It is cheap, unthinking criticism from half way around the world. Hamas, et al, have declared that Israel has no right to exist. Hamas' and the other groups' terrorist actions deliberately, as a formal policy, target civilians. Is there a bumper sticker that expresses the actions of these groups to the smug satisfaction of my mod/lib friends? Is there one that would mollify those Christians whose friends and family, including children, have been executed in the terrorist bent to genocide against all Christians and Jews in the area?

I appreciate the faith that informs my mod/lib brethren in regard to being peacemakers but I feel sure that the republic would have been overthrown long ago if they were in charge of defense. "Herr Hitler, can we just pray about it together, brother...mabye have a good group hug?"
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 am

Here is a first for me. I agree 95+% with ET on the theological basis of what is wrong here. I reserve some or all of the 5% on the Baptist principle that we do not have to be in 100% agreement on much of anything other than Jesus died for both of us.

Having said that ET and I most probably disagree on the ethical application of this theology in which we both believe.

For example, when Republican congressmen first proposed Universal Health Care, they did so because we had 40M middle class American's earning $20-50K who did not have health insurance. Most of these worked for small businesses. On average, each year, 4.5M of these 40M faced the big one, cancer, heart or other major medical problem. The choice for these folks was total bankruptcy or death because they had to pay full retail prices for health care. For my prostate cancer the full retail cost for treatment was around $120,000. The cost negotiated by medicare was $60,000. The cost to me was $0.00. So some solution for the 4.5M would go a long way toward easing tensions between the right and the left in this country.

Bush gave us no real reason for the second Iraq War except that we could and therefor should fight it. The result was a big boost in our national debt. Bush also played games with terms of service in a war zone. The rules were, if you served in a war zone for 110 days of continuous service you came home for two years before the gummit could send you off to war again. So why is it that we see some story about some soldier who was sent "over there" six times in ten years every time we turn on the TV or read a newspaper.

I think we could agree on a lot of things if we could work out the details, but right now few politicians on either are willing to do their jobs and govern. Among the few are Sen Warner (D) and Rep Rigel (R) from VA.

Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me He does. Jesus loves ET. The Bible tells me he does. So why can we not seem to agree on some of the details. If Jesus loves both of us and we love him, why can we not love each other beyond some theoretical sense of the word.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby linda » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 am

While we are all getting along, can we pray for my friend J. who lives in Nigeria?

They minister in an area that is frequently overrun but Muslim extremists, burning the buildings, schools, etc and shooting the Christians.

Please pray for J and O and their family. I won't give names as he is a convert from Islam and rather fond of his head.
Linda
linda

Postby Haruo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Will do, linda.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Consider it a vent. You could be more informed on the militant groups' declared goal of extermination.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum