[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Rich capitalist opposes tax-cuts for the wealthy

Rich capitalist opposes tax-cuts for the wealthy

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Rich capitalist opposes tax-cuts for the wealthy

Postby Haruo » Sun May 27, 2012 2:14 am

I found this TED video by Seattle entrepreneur and self-described capitalist refreshing: . And I think for the most part he is right in his analysis of what's wrong with the economic thinking of those Republicrats who are not actually mean, mean-spirited, or particularly selfish.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Rich capitalist opposes tax-cuts for the wealthy

Postby Cathy » Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am

I enjoyed the video. It has always made sense to me that those who spend a higher percentage of the money they get actually do more to support the economy and growth.
Cathy

Postby ET » Wed May 30, 2012 4:37 pm

A few problems with his line of thinking, Haruo. For the most part I found it to be a VERY weak presentation, and here's some reasons:

Yes, there are aspects of "chicken and the egg" in such an economic debate, but to say that "consumers create jobs" is backwards. They may sustain it and cause the jobs to grow once the business gets going, but when Fred Smith started Federal Express back in the 70s, there wasn't a line of consumers at the door saying "we need this letter shipped overnight, so here's some money and go out and start an airline to fly it across the country". No, he had to acquire a rather large sum of money - which he didn't get from the middle-class - to buy airplanes and get the business going.

My best friend in high school started a web development company in the latter part of 1999 - unfortunately for him, right before the dot com bubble burst. When he started his company, he hired 7-10 people with money he got from a "rich" guy who provided some money in the low 7-digit range. Sure, he needed customers to keep it going, but while starting up he needed money from someone other that customers because they couldn't provide the pile of cash needed to get the thing off the ground.

The unemployment vs tax rate chart is problematic also. It's a dual-axis chart where the number scale skews everything. His chart shows an almost steady increase in unemployment corresponding to a steady decline in tax rates on the rich. Yet, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment was around 5.5% in 1995, dropped to a little bit under 4% by 2001, rose to a little over 6% by 2003, dropped again down to about 4.5% by 2007 and then shot up to almost 10% in 2009/2010 and is a bit over 8% today. Those swings are hardly reflected in that graph. It looks more like they put 5.5% as one data point and then 9.3% as the endpoint and drew a straight line between them with just a few squiggles to make it not look so obvious.

My MAJOR point of contention would be that I find it contradictory and illogical to say that "the rich" can't spend enough money to create jobs, but government can tax them enough to create jobs. ( :roll: ). Going back to a some time back, Obama and Dem's desire to eliminate "Bush's tax cuts for the rich" would raise $700 billion over 10 years. That translates into an increased revenue stream of $70 billion a year when the federal budget is currently at $3.7 TRILLION, a 1.89% revenue increase for the budget.

If we divide that revenue increase amongst every American and assume that such money would be "invested" ( :blech: ) with 100% efficiency to the benefit of "99%" of Americans, then a family of four would have maybe another $100 a month in "benefits", either directly or indirectly. I hate to tell you, but an "investment" of $100 a month might be nice, but when my family of 5 can easily run up a dinner tab of $60-80 just going out to eat at Chili's or some other restaurant like that, an extra $100 a month ain't gonna change our lives.

Given government "efficiency", that number would probably be more like $25 or $30 after all the bureaucrats were paid and another chunk ended up in the pork barrel before finally making it down to the rest of us.

Now, if anybody wants to tell me that a 1.89% increase in salary is going to rock their world and put them on the road to riches, I'll be glad to hear the argument, but if a 1.89% increase in your salary isn't going financially change your life, how in the :censored: do you expect me to believe that a 1.89% increase in government spending is going to change the course of an entire nation?
Last edited by ET on Thu May 31, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed May 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Theory is just that = theory!!!!

Trickle Down is a total bust! How many years does it take to admit the falacy?

Why don't we just stop income tax for a year. Let people spend their money as they see fit. Enough goes to the state and local entities with sales tax and fuel tax.

All we are doing is keeping a bunch of tax accountants and tax lawyers in fine style finding loopholes created by loopie bureaucrats earning far more than they are worth to us!!! The tax form is a mystery we don't even need.

Stop any payment to any representative and make them return to the concept of the Founding Fathers---that citizens represent citizens as a return for their success in a competitive capitalist society. Forbid any Lawyer to serve to make his buddies back home rich dealing with the vageries of their laws :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Wed May 30, 2012 11:07 pm

I’m reading a book co-authored by Nick Hanauer and will comment after reading the book (it’s short) and watching the video.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Matto » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I thought this was interesting as an opposing idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWp02zFT ... ata_player
Matto

Postby Matto » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Matto

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues