[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - "Jesus Would Not Approve Of Abortions" President Carter

"Jesus Would Not Approve Of Abortions" President Carter

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

"Jesus Would Not Approve Of Abortions" President Carter

Postby davidRudnick » Sun May 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Please do not give up on the Democratic Party... without the Democrats there would be no Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, a minimum wage, child labor laws, or a living wage. If you really want to overturn Roe v. Wade (approved by Republican Nixon & upheld by Ford & Reagan) it will be the Democratic Party to do it...
Please support President Jimmy Carter by signing the petition below which calls for the Democratic Party to accept Pro Life Democrats back into the Party. It will be submitted by Carter to the DNC Chair. A little under half of all Democrats are Pro Life and it is time that we are recognized...

Please support President Jimmy Carter and other Democrats who do not support abortion in signing this pledge to help protect life and the future of our nation...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bigtent/
davidRudnick

Re: "Jesus Would Not Approve Of Abortions" President Carter

Postby Haruo » Sun May 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I signed it.

Incidentally, welcome!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm

I can't sign it. There are circumstances in which an abortion is an unavoidable medical decision. I don't want to have Democrats take away the rights of women to make decisions about their own bodies and their own health. There is nothing like a bunch of men signing a petition to have the Democratic party tell the government to tell women what to do with their own health and life.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby davidRudnick » Sun May 13, 2012 10:23 pm

if the child endangers the life of the mother then I understand the need for an abortion but, most women have abortions for economic issues... that I cannot abide by
davidRudnick

Postby davidRudnick » Sun May 13, 2012 10:27 pm

davidRudnick

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon May 14, 2012 4:24 am

I am in favor of the big tent, not of banning abortion. I believe the parties (both of them) work better when they nurture internal diversity of opinion on a wide variety of issues. I don't see where the petition calls for banning abortion. I do not value polarization, litmus tests, or Democratic Centralism.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon May 14, 2012 5:45 am

Ed: Not being a democrat I have no business signing this petition, plus I agree with each of the points presented by Tim Bonney.

On top of that I do not sign any petition that does not clearly state who the sponsor is.

And David R. it would be nice if you stopped by the welcome forum and tell us a bit about yourself.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 14, 2012 6:53 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby davidRudnick » Mon May 14, 2012 12:09 pm

will do. But the Sponsor is Democrats for Life of America. Its essentially Democrats who do not support Abortion asides if the child endangers the life of the mother. Many in the org are also opposed to the wars as well. But its main focus is removing a litmus test for Democratic Party regarding abortion... as many Pro Life Dems are treated as outsiders or pushed out of the Party over the issue
davidRudnick

Postby Gene Scarborough » Tue May 15, 2012 5:49 am

What troubles me most about the Abortion fight is how it tends to be portrayed as if "babies are killed" who are viable in the 3rd trimester. It is an ugly thing which few Doctors would consider performing unless there were no viable child ready to be born and able to live outside the womb.

Whenever any argument goes to the extreme, it is not a good argument.

This country, before Roe v. Wade, was a horror land of brutality to pregnant women. Too many died or were left sterile with the butchering and lack of sterility. My own father, in the 40's, was asked to minister to a girl with a botched abortion at a "Roadhouse" outside Tryon, NC. By getting her to a hospital he helped save her life. Then the little "gossip ladies" started spreading the word that the Preacher was at the "whorehouse" (to put it bluntly).

This scene does not need repeating in a free country with modern medicine available to all women.

Tim is so right about the way men want to make the rules and women bear the pain = not acceptable for me!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Frank Harrington

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Bill Self and Jack Harwell's great Presbyterian friend Frank Harrington of Atlanta said: "The Weight of Protestant Theology comes down on the side of the Mother."

I doubt President Carter or Jane Fonda--legend has it Johnny Hunt baptized her-- would vote Harrington out of the Christian faith in Georgia, nor would Carter have dismissed Paul Simmons from Southern Seminary.

Folks like Rudnick refuse to read Gushee, and Gormley's Parsing the Politics of Abortion on the Matter.

Aaron Weaver and the like have bounced this around agood bit onthis board. Jill Lepore in New Yorker is another goood source I doubt Rudnick will engage.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Learn fromCatholics at George Washington

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 20, 2012 5:39 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues